Shockwave

Well Known Member
The 8A plans say the rudder and elevator tips MUST be closed off, and the HS tips are optional if you want to close them off. My rudder is already closed off, but the elevator fits up snug with the counterweight. Do they really want me to glass over it? If I pop rivet it on, how would I be able to adjust the counterweight after painting? :confused:

Can I close up the VS tip too?

The 8A plans say the rudder and elevator tips MUST be closed off, and the HS tips are optional if you want to close them off. My rudder is already closed off, but the elevator fits up snug with the counterweight. Do they really want me to glass over it? If I pop rivet it on, how would I be able to adjust the counterweight after painting? :confused:

Can I close up the VS tip too?
This is one area of assembly that gives the builder some latitude to make assembly choices based upon individual preference. For instance, since I am personally loath to close up anything on a permanent basis, I installed all tips with screws and nutplates which makes things much easier if you decide to paint the empennage tips long after the plane is flying:

2mxus9.jpg

To cap off the ends of the tips, I did not use glass, rather I simply cut out pieces of .025 aluminum with a pair of scissors and bonded them into place with proseal. The lower pictures shows my -6A after paint:

2rn79u9.jpg

5b2wkp.jpg

To adjust the elevators for perfect balance before and after paint, consider installing a 1/4" nutplate through an already existing tooling hole:

213rd52.jpg

As you see, based upon my response there can be any number of ways to deal with various assembly details and still remain consistent with the designer's intent. When given such choices, address those minor assembly challenges in ways that work for you. When in doubt, it is always prudent to run your ideas past Van's technical support first.