tomcostanza

Well Known Member
I'm going to place an order for supplies for the fiberglass work. Shipping and handling being what it is, and considering it is usually cheaper to ship one big box than two small boxes, I want to order everything at once.

What supplies have you used, or wish you had used, and where did you get them? I'm going with West epoxy based on numerous recommendations.

TIA and have a great holiday everyone.

I don't know where you're located Tom, but check to see if there is a West Marine within driving distance - they have all of the West Systems stuff, and yo can avoid shipping charges!

Paul

Any good boating supply place should have all the stuff you need. I used the West system plus I got some micro balloons for canopy. I also used Bondo Glass, fiberglass and Ultimate Bondo for the all the tips. You should be able to get the Bondo and the Fiberglass at Home Depot or Walmart.

Epoxy and sources

I'm the type that like to order from one source if possible. For most of the stuff you need you can order from www.cstsales.com. I used them for most of my glass stuff for the RV and for my RC stuff.

Here's some basic stuff that will get your canopy done. Also if you want to fair in your glass empennage tips.

1 quart West Systems 105 Epoxy
1 pint of 206 hardener
Set of metered pumps (MANDATORY) After getting the pumps, use a Sharpie and mark the halfway point on the stroke of the pumps for smaller quantity use.
Small container of 410 micro filler
1" Wide glass tape 10 yrd pack (if you are going to glass in the tail stuff)
.007 thickness
2" Wide glass tape .007 3yrd pack
3" Wide glass tape .007 2-3yrd packs
Mixing cups

Box of popcicle sticks from craft store

Stuff from the Auto body supply place

1 Quart Rage auto body filler
1 Quart Evercoat 416 metal glaze. (great for glass work so don't worry about the "metal" label)
Several small squeegees.

I also have 6 oz bottles of 5 minute and 30 minute epoxy from the hobby shop for small and quick jobs

This will cover virtually all of the glass work supplies you will need. I did two airplanes with 1 quart of epoxy and hardener.