JVolkober

Well Known Member
I am ordering supplies for fiberglassing the canopy skirts on my -9A amongst other things. I am new to doing layups. I am odering West System resin and hardner. Would it be advisable for me to order the slow hardner to provider more pot life time to do the lay ups for the skirts? I will be working with ambient air temps of between 65 degrees and 85 degrees.

Thank you

After posting my question, I browsed the old posts. Seems that the slow is most often referred to with recommendations to have a small amount of fast hardner available.

resin

I am using the system three silvertip laminating resin. have really good results with it and it has a good potlife. the west system resin imo is kinda thick. its nice for some real small reair work or making epoxy glue, but I personally dont think its good for laminating.
good luck and happy building
Erik

Slow is good

For your purposes, just get the slow. Remember to get the metered pumps as well. I have both hardeners for different purposes as I do lay ups for RC parts as well.

...I the west system resin imo is kinda thick. its nice for some real small reair work or making epoxy glue, but I personally dont think its good for laminating...
Erik

Are you sure you are thinking of West Systems? Their product is designed for laminating. I have found it very easy to wet out fully, and it works great in both in conventional and vacuum bagged layups. I used it as a structural adhesive everywhere in the Hiperbipe wings as well as the wood sealant inside, and the glass finish on the outside. Great product!

resin

yup I'm talking about west system. I use it just about everyday at work. we primarily use it for epoxy syntactic(glue). for laminations at work we use gougeon brothers proset epoxy. which is alot better for laminating. I'm not saying that the west system resin is bad. its actually a really good resin and with the pump set up to measure it out it makes it easy to get the mix ratio right. I'm just saying that its not the best for laminating. just my opinion thats all.
happy building
Erik