apatti

Well Known Member
I have yet to do any of the fiberglass work so I am new to this skill area.

I just drilled a line of #40 holes in one of the canopy skirts that turns out to be off a little. I am guessing I can fix this fairly easily. Could someone explain the process I should use to fill in these holes? I think I understand the big picture (lay a strip on the inside, fill the holes, lay a strip on the outside), but I really need the details. How do I prep the surface, what weight cloth do I use, what do I mix the expoxy with (I have the West system and some flox and some microballoons), etc.

Will there be a problem drilling new holes that are very close (even overlapping in some cases) these repaired holes? At $150 + shipping I really don't want to have to buy a new skirt.

Thanks,

Wash to ensure no remaining mold release. Run a strip of tape (duct tape will do) down the backside of the holes, then fill the holes with a wet flox/epoxy mix. After cure, 80 grit the backside until the filled holes are flush and no surface gloss anywhere. Laminate one strip of glass fabric on the backside (6oz min, I like 8.9). Use peel ply to improve surface texture and save yourself some sanding later.

Block sand the front face with grit appropriate to your finishing system (60-80 if you expect to use a micro/epoxy or polyester filler, perhaps 180-220 under a high-build primer, 320-400 to go direct to primer/paint). Use a hard block; do not finger sand or you might see "shadows" of the holes in the finished product.