BigJohn

Well Known Member
I'm researching and prepping for the cowling fiberglass work. Have found most of the items called for in the Van's Page 03-02 "Supplies Requirements" list on the Aircraft Spruce website. I do have a question and would welcome information on what material more experienced builders used for the cloth. Van's list calls for "9oz/sq yd plain weave "E-glass" fabric". The Spruce catalog lists 8.92 oz/sq yd crow foot weave and also 9.66 oz/sq yd heavy weight plain weave fiberglass fabric. I'm thinking the best fit to the specs is the 9.66 fabric because that is "plain weave". Your thoughts?

Also - did you guys use the "Peel Ply" tape, and if so which width?

As always, thanks for the help!

Glad to hear you are progessing!

I think I used the crows foot weave and I was not real happy with the way it handles when wet. Nothing that was a big deal, but it was tough to get it into position. I'd go with the plain weave if I were to do another one.

I bought a roll of the 3" peel ply stuff. Works great.

I'm thinking the best fit to the specs is the 9.66 fabric because that is "plain weave". Your thoughts?

I wouldn't use a plain weave unless the curvature is very modest. Anywhere I need the fabric to drape well I use a 4-harness stitch or similar. My favorite for applications such as you describe is the 8.8 oz 7725 twill. I really like the way it conforms to complex curves. I've made entire fuselages out of the stuff.

Thanks, Bob K.

I'm researching and prepping for the cowling fiberglass work. Have found most of the items called for in the Van's Page 03-02 "Supplies Requirements" list on the Aircraft Spruce website. I do have a question and would welcome information on what material more experienced builders used for the cloth. Van's list calls for "9oz/sq yd plain weave "E-glass" fabric". The Spruce catalog lists 8.92 oz/sq yd crow foot weave and also 9.66 oz/sq yd heavy weight plain weave fiberglass fabric. I'm thinking the best fit to the specs is the 9.66 fabric because that is "plain weave". Your thoughts?

Also - did you guys use the "Peel Ply" tape, and if so which width?

As always, thanks for the help!

I used the 9.66 plain weave, and it worked OK, I guess. But I am a total novice on glassing. However, I can recommend the West System Epoxy and especially the pump kit that they sell. Makes it real easy to get the correct mixture.
698786093_mPsLj-S.jpg

The pumps can be left on the containers according to the manufacturer. I found the marine supply stores around here carry the West Systems Products in a big display stand.
Tony