dwilson

Well Known Member
Getting ready to build up the transition fairing between the upper deck and the windshield on my RV10.

Instruction say to cut parallel to the weave.
Here is the stupid question:

Which way is the weave?

I get it that I should not cut diagonal, but how do I know which way is across the weave and which way is parallel to the weave?

They're the same. Warp-woof doesn't matter. Diagonal (bias) cutting allows the strip to wrap or lay down better but your strip will get narrower if you pull it lengthwise. A parallel cut tape will allow you to pull it back and forth to position with your tapes staying the same width.

They're the same...

For most fiberglass cloth types, that's true enough for all practical purposes. If you look at the cloth and see the same amount of fiber in both the warp and weave directions, it probably won't matter which way you cut.

But have a care about it, there are some cloths that have different amounts of fiber in the warp and weave directions. These are often referred to as "unidirectional" cloths, although they might range from 5%/95% to 30%/70%.

Thanks, Bob K.

You'd do better to listen to Bob instead of me. He actually LIKES fiberglass. As opposed to just tolerating it like me.