PaulR

Well Known Member
I'm working on the emp. tips while waiting for the weather to warm up to cut the canopy. I've got them attached and used epoxy/flox in the joggle and the microballoons/epoxy after the initial sanding. I have now sanded that and put on a coat of primer so I could see what I was doing. They are really pretty good, but alas there are some pin holes and a couple of low spots.

The question really concerns the low spots. When I block sand the primer, it will be left in the low spots which are precisely the spots that need filling. How does one "rough up" the primer to add some micro/epoxy to bring it up? Or is it not necessary to rough up that primer? The pin holes I'll probably fill with neat epoxy if that's the correct way.

Also, I read a thread about Rage auto body filler and Evercoat 410 glazing putty. Is it okay to use these products, especially the glazing? I have used it in the past and had good luck on antique cars.

Thanks

It's okay

As long as the depression isn't too great you can use the Rage. If it is more than a 1/16" use microballoons and epoxy. Block sand, reprime and use a guide coat to check for low spots. Glaze can be used for fine tuning.

Roughing it up

Some primers dont need sanding before re-application of additional coats as long as you do it in the time frame allowed in the instructions.
But if your unsure just scuff it up with some 120 and respray over it. If your bonding micro over primer I'd either try and remove the primer down to the micro under it to rebond to that and scuff it up with 80 grit.