I weighed HS-615 X2, E-612 X2,VS-809, R-809, and R 4-11. 2lbs 3oz. Curious about how much the wing tips weigh since they are much larger than all these parts combined, aslo how much the cowling comes it at. Im considering making new ones out of Carbon Fiber.

... Im considering making new ones out of Carbon Fiber.

If you go that route, it would be good to make them with foam core sandwich construction, and also vacuum bag them. Otherwise your carbon tips probably won't be appreciably stiffer than the stock ones unless they're almost as heavy.

The real issue with the stock tips that everybody notices is that they don't have much panel stiffness, so they often oilcan and take on funny shapes in flight. Some sandwich core foam, say 1/4" Divynicell H60, would stiffen them right up, and let you use a lighter laminate schedule besides. Result: Lighter and stiffer!

Thanks, Bob K.

Vacuum bagging was already part of the plan. In fact I may just vacuum bag some fiber glass versions . Thanks for the info about the inflight deformation. Still looking for someone with a wing kit to weigh there tips and report in. Any FWF guys please chime in with your cowling weight.

If you go that route, it would be good to make them with foam core sandwich construction....

....Some sandwich core foam, say 1/4" Divynicell H60, would stiffen them right up, and let you use a lighter laminate schedule besides. Result: Lighter and stiffer!

Just so that you know, Divinycell such as H60 can be thermoformed around 212 deg. F. The company recommends that the maximum continuous temperature in sandwich construction be limited to 185 deg. F. I'd expect that the cowl would routinely see temps higher than that after shut-down, even if it had a radiant heat barrier inside.

Dave