N713R

Well Known Member
I am making a fiberglass intake transition. I first made a blank out of foam, then cast it into plaster of paris. I now am ready to lay in the fiberglass. Problem is, I don't know what I am doing. What can I put on the plaster to allow the fiberglass to release without sticking? Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Mold release

You can use car wax, grease, cellophane tape (my favorite) or you can buy commercial mold release compound which I used many years ago but have switched to cellophane tape or grease which is readily available.

Dick DeCramer
RV6 120 hours
RV4 rebuild
Northfield, MN

Another option

Ben... another option, which might be easier for a one-off part, is to use the foam as a male mold.
Just lay up the glass directly on the foam, and then carve, cut and/or dissolve the foam away.....

gil in Tucson

I wouldn't be afraid of using regular ole "Turtle Wax." We're on our second project with the same container.

51006turtewax7dx.jpg

gonna try it...

Thank you to all responses. I really appreciate the help. I am off to the hanger to try my hand at fiberglass. I will return with the progress, or lack there off. ;)

Thats a nice looking piece of fiberglass work there... :) I'm gonna have soooo much fun when I get to FWF.

Pierre,

We had the plenum made by Massey Aircraft Services at Shafter,CA airport-- Minter Field.

They have what appears to be a wooden mold the size of a saddle for making custom cowls and/ or plenums. For the IO-540 cold air induction with round inlets.

We spent the last four weeks getting it just about right.

i.e. we needed to transition to the inlet rings so we found the only thing close to a perfect fit-- my Home depot zip ties plastic container-- cut the ends off- and turtle waxed it and made the tubes. and fiberglassed them in place.

And then guys that have done the round holes will tell you about the difficulty of getting the rings molded in.

If I get a chance, I'll call them and ask exactly how they did the plenum.

edit--Stephen-- if you read this-- everytime I look at your build pict on thing always comes to mind. "Man, he sure put the thing on it's gear early in the build process."

Last edited: