KALEWIS

Well Known Member
We have been researching all the fiberglass options for the canopy layup and still have some questions/opinions.

Plans call for E-glass. Is that the standard weave or Bi-weave pattern?

Also need the amount of glass to order and amt of resin/hardener/flox/filler. We will eventually be working on the wheelpants too. So if anyone has an itemized listing of products and amounts used ... that would be peachy.

thanks

Suggest you search thhe RV-12 forum for "fiberglass". You will get lots of advice on cloth. Here is one thread that I started: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=52526&highlight=fiberglass.

I used West System epoxy from West Marine. It is very handy if there is a store nearby. Otherwise you can order it. Get the 1 Quart can of resin and one little can each of slow and fast hardener. Also, get the pump kit which makes it easy to measure out the correct ratios of resin and hardener. Start with these quantities - you can always order more if you need it.

The other suff you will need is pretty much spelled out in the instructions.

If you have never worked with fiberglass before, you will find it invaluable to get some advice from someone who has - both for the laying up and later for the sanding/finishing.

E-glass identifies a particular type of glass fiber, not a weave or a weight. The other type is S-glass. E is the common variety, S less so. E is fine for your canopy.

Unidirectional ("UNI") has almost all the fibers running one way, with just enough perpendicular fiber to hold it together. There is no weave pattern. We have no use for UNI in RV construction.

Bidirectional ("BID") is roughly 50-50. BID comes in many different weave patterns. In general, use plain weave for flat and cylindrical shapes and 8-harness satin weave for compound curvature. Typical weights are in the 5 to 10 oz range.

There is a lot of information available with forum searching. Start here:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=22931

Canopy layups

We have been researching all the fiberglass options for the canopy layup and still have some questions/opinions.

Also need the amount of glass to order and amt of resin/hardener/flox/filler. We will eventually be working on the wheelpants too. So if anyone has an itemized listing of products and amounts used ... that would be peachy.

thanks

Just as a matter of interest guys I have noticed that Viking Engines sell an allready made canopy skirt for $250 may save some guys some headaches if your interested!

I looked at the viking page ... interesting, but. Probably have to go EAB for that huh? Wonder how well the "glue" sticks...hmmm decisions decisions. haha

thanks

Hi Kyle,
I agree, there is a lot of good posts on fiberglass via the "searches". For my canopy skirt, I added two layers of bi-directional carbon fiber cloth for stiffness. In flight, the canopy skirt will tend to bow out from the fuselage sides. The carbon fiber adds a tremendous amount of stiffness to the layup. I bought about a 20 foot roll of remnant at a discount from a carbon fiber store online. Added a black pigment dye to the epoxy to match the black color of the frame. Maybe a little more info than you asked, sorry.

DSCN3026.jpg

DSCN3031.jpg

DSCN3039.jpg

DSCN3042.jpg