pvalovich

Well Known Member
I've finished fitting my -8A canopy skirts, cowl and about to finish the fairings and wheel pants. I intend to delay painting the aircraft until after it flys for a while. I understand Van's suggestion for covering the cowl with 50/50 mix of epoxy and acetone until ready to paint, but I'm wondering what folks do for the fairings / wheel pants?

I'm thinking of using the 50/50 mix, sanding as necessary, covering with primer (Sems self etching grey) and declaring victory until time to paint.

Anyone have a better idea?

Don't forget to do the inside of the cowling to keep that from becoming saturated with oil.

While you are at it, I would suggest you line the inside of the bottom cowl with some kind of heat shield.

No self etching

on glass. (Its for metal)
Use a decent epoxy primer for adhesion and UV protection.
Same for all the other glass.
Might as well do the prep work and get it over with. :D

I've finished fitting my -8A canopy skirts, cowl and about to finish the fairings and wheel pants. I intend to delay painting the aircraft until after it flys for a while. I understand Van's suggestion for covering the cowl with 50/50 mix of epoxy and acetone until ready to paint, but I'm wondering what folks do for the fairings / wheel pants?

I'm thinking of using the 50/50 mix, sanding as necessary, covering with primer (Sems self etching grey) and declaring victory until time to paint.

Anyone have a better idea?

Fiberglass Primer

No self etching

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

on glass. (Its for metal)
Use a decent epoxy primer for adhesion and UV protection.
Same for all the other glass.
Might as well do the prep work and get it over with.

--------------------------

Didn't realize that. Anyone have a fiberglass primer recommendation?

Primer

I use PPG's epoxy primers, such as DP50.

I guess it really depends on whether you are going to do "ALL" of the prep work required to make the glass good and smooth, or if you just want to shoot some primer and redo it all later.

If you do all of the work, then I'd use the DP50, then just scuff it and paint it when ready. If you don't want to really do all the prep and are just wanting to get the pink glass covered up, then use anything cheap. PPG has a cheap (ish) epoxy in their ShopLine that would do.

More opinion to come, I'm sure. :D:D