After beating, bending, hitting, and twisting the rear cowl "skirts" on the rv6a, I began thinking,"surly some one is making and or selling fiber glass cowl "skirts"!". I really want to avoid laying up fiber my self, just because of the finishing. It seems to be a double edged sword. A good fit with glass and major finishing or a good look with alum and major gaps. Any Ideas, anyone, anyone????

Last edited:
Fiberglass rear skirt

After beating, bending, hitting, and twisting the rear cowl skins on the rv6a, I began thinking,"surly some one is making fiber glass cowl skins!". Any Ideas, anyone, anyone????

I just finished laying up fiberglass skirts on my 7 (getting real close to done now!).

I just used mold release on the fuselage and a bit of cardboard taped to the plexi to give me a place to put the first layer. Let it set, then laid up the rest. Ended up with about 4 plies of 6 oz cloth. It's very strong, fits like a glove and will be a real bear to finish up nicely. First time around, I must have spent a week making those metal skirts. Since I glued my canopy this time (sikaflex) I wanted to avoid drilling all those holes for the rear skirts.

Just a tip: Get some 6" wide fiberglass cloth tape or some bulk fabric. I used 4" tape cut in pieces and it's very difficult to get a nice looking layup. Had I used 6" tape, it would have been a lot easier.

The cowls are fiberglass. Are you talking about the deck skin just aft of the cowl? If so, no way could that be fiberglass. Well, it could, but it would be more difficult, heavier, etc. That skin bears a lot of the load from the engine. If you're talking about something else, I apologize; I have no idea.

Plenums- Home made vs Sam James

[Hello everyone. This is my first post, I hope it gets out.

I have installed the Vans baffles and rubber seals on My RV6A and I do NOT like the look and I question how efficient this is.
So I thought of looking at the James plenum it is very nice. around $450.00:
This would mean that I would have to change the inlets on the cowling, from oval to round, another $200.00 for the rings.:eek:

Obvious to me, the question then becomes can I make my own plenum and do I have to change the inlets from oval to round? Is there a reason the inlets become round and smaller(Is it additional drag, and a preasure issue.) Does someone have any info on this and pics.

Thanks
Bob Wieczorek
I WANNA FLY:D

Round rings make easier seal

Where you seal the plenum to the cowl, round rings fit into inserts that make a nice connection to the cowl. It would be difficult, but not impossible to make seals to transition from stock Vans cowl inlets to a plenum. I think Kevin Horton did it with an aluminum plenum.

Van's cowl inlets are bigger, work well for general purposes, including climbs, slower flight, etc. But they are bigger than needed for cruise so there is some spillage drag.

The Sam James inlets are smaller, spill less. I've seen racers play with smaller inlets yet. You would have to ask someone with a Sam James cowl if they ever have inadequate cooling - I think the answer would be that they just don't fly slow.

I think the subject is getting confused here; are we talking canopy skirts or engine cowlings? I think the original poster was referring to the canopy skirts, but said cowl skirts. Or maybe I'm wrong...

I did my skirts with SO (soft) aluminum. I got them very close then worked the edges with a dolly and body hammer. I have no gaps and I laid up a close fitting fiberglass piece over the track. I have no air leaks in my canopy. Don