prkaye

Well Known Member
I'm going to be ordering the finish kit soon, and am contemplating whether I should order the FFW kit at the same time. How many shipping dollars is combining these likely to save me? If ordered by itself, is the FFW kit a big crate, shipped by ABF?
The reason I hesitate is that I'm still having trouble making up my mind about the FI vs carb issue, and I have to decide that before ordering the FFW kit.

The FWF for my -6A came in two boxes. The larger was huge (sorry, no exact dimensions) and fairly heavy but not so much so that UPS couldn't handle or that I couldn't get them into my pickup for the trip to the hangar. Most of the FWF stuff is small. The exhaust was in the smaller box, along with some things that wouldn't easily fit in the larger box. The larger box contained the baffling kit (a large but light item) which was surrounded by other stuff like the alternator, fuel pump (my engine is FI), engine mounts, etc. I'd say wait. Alternatively, you could contact Van's and order the kit minus the cables and other bits that would be affected by the FI/Carb decision. Their FWF kits aren't set in stone. Personally, I'd call them and ask for the drawings from the FWF and electrical kit so that you can better plan your installations and then order the FWF and electrical parts when you are ready and better informed.

Phil

Hey Phil
Just my 02 cents worth. WAIT. The finish kit is big, and you might save a few bucks but... so much is changing and your options may change. As an example, i am doing FI and I did get the vans afp pump (get that now) if going fi. But, there are several different choices for cowl, for hose length etc, further on the finish kit you will likely have to change some cables fittings etc depending on config. For MDRA get a stainless airbox etc and figure out if there are any good upgrades deletions etc. There have been several threads on that as some folks say the packaged oil cooler, etc is good bad etc. Lord mounts instead etc.
To make a long story short, wait and order when you have the engine and misc stuff all nailed down. Do get your afp pump now and an extra roll of fuel line. They shipped it to me seperate and do to their mistake charged me $150 shipping for the $500 pump. OUCHHHH. It would have come for free in the finish kit box. Sorry for the ramble.

mind if I butt in?

I have a similiar question.

How big is the canopy in it's raw form? Dimensions? The reason I ask is, I'm planning another Oregon road trip. I would like to pick up the finish kit while we're there. No cowl, as I ordered a James cowl.

SO If the finish kit weren't in the crate will it fit in a Jeep Liberty?

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

No

The canopy is HUGE. I believe they make it x2 the size needed just for kick backs from the shipping firm. I cant see any way that would fit.