avi8tor50

Well Known Member
This goes out to all of you who are experts in FAA regs. I will be moving sometime in the next three months at a time when I will probably be in the middle of my Phase I testing. Is it possible to get a ferry permit to move to a new home base airport during Phase I? If so, how do I go about it?
Thanks.

Peter K
9A

fat chance

I grovelled humbly to leave the test area to get a prop balance. was told in essence there's no bread; go eat cake. the Folks Against Aviation would have none of it.

Yes this has been done for a variety of reasons during phase 1 time. Like everthing else when dealing with the FAA, It has EVERYTHING to do with the office and the inspector you get.

I don't know how far you are moving, but have you thought about haveing your test area at your new place with maybe a corridor or something like that. I would argue that I needed an airport with long runway, crash equip. etc. during the intial few hours, then move to the smaller field that is close to home. Might be a moot point for that's what the intial phase 1 is for. Just a thought. I agree with Kahuna, that it probably depends on the local FSDO.
Good Luck,
Rick Maury
RV 7 Tail and Wings done, Fuse under construction

More details

How many hours for phase I ...... 25 or 40?
On the move, from where to where?

RE: Ferry permit during Phase I

This Fall, a RV-7 showed up here at Stead (4SD) from Seattle with a ferry permit from the SEA FSDO. He was able to get one during his Phase I testing, why not you? Dan

Seems like someone here ferried his Phase 1 9a (?) from the Northwest to Texas last year. Go forth and ask.

I did my first flight near Pittsburgh, after 25 hrs the FAA gave me a very specific corridor to get my 8 back home. Like Kahuna said depends on the guy you get

This Fall, a RV-7 showed up here at Stead (4SD) from Seattle with a ferry permit from the SEA FSDO. He was able to get one during his Phase I testing, why not you? Dan

Good call Dan! I'll shoot Paul an e-mail and see what he did to get the move OK'd. Will post back here when I get the word. Always good to get "the gouge" from those that have blazed the trail!

Cheers,
Bob

Paul's reply:

Paul came back quickly from his Blackberry. Here's what he wrote:

"To ferry my plane I went to the FAA guy who first gave me the airworthiness cert. He reissued me a new one with a 5 mile wide flight corridor from Vancouver to Stead with the new flight limitations at Stead. Hope that helps. Paul"

I too hope it helps!! :)

Quick note, it was Vancouver, WA, not BC.

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
ferry permit

Here in coastal NC hurricanes are a real deal. This past summer it looked like I would have to move my plane out of harms way while still in phase 1. Called Greensboro FSDO, and was told a ferry permit was absolutely no problem. As it turned out, that very day, hangar space that I had applied for became available. I also heard that the DAR that inspected my plane can also issue the permit. Anyone know if that is factual information??

Hope this helps (HTH)
Chris

Thanks to all who responded!

I will moving from Somerset, KY (about 2 hrs North of Knoxville, TN) to Knoxville TN. I would like to get my airworthiness inspection done here in Somerset so I don't have to transfer my plane (with wings off) to Knoxville. In addition, I will not be moving for about three months so I would have time to get some of the Phase I testing done here in Somerset. If I wait to move to Knoxville I will lose a lot of time. Furthermore, I have access to a great hangar here in Somerset owned by an A&P. In Knoxville, there is no hangar space at this time. There is NO FSDO that will come to Somerset to do the airworthiness inspection; I will be having a DAR do the job. Can he give me a corridor to Knoxville?

Mel, if you read this would value your opinion.
Thanks.

Peter K
9A