Bill Phillips

Well Known Member
I have a buyer for my airplane that has been setting uninsured this summer. Flown her a few times to keep the tires round and water out of the engine. Buyer and I have agreed for me to deliver. Who has ever purchased ferry insurance? Can you insure an LSA for a week or so for hull and liability? This with a split payout if the plane hits something in route to cover the 50% he's putting up front. Hope to hear from you guys and thanks, Bill Phillips N288WP RV-8a

Can't do it as described. One of you needs to buy an annual policy on the airplane. Preferably the one that will legally own the airplane during the delivery flight since, really, that person is the only one that stands to suffer a loss. (If he hasn't bought it yet, I doubt he'll still be interested if it's wrecked)
After the sale is completed, you can cancel the policy and receive a premium refund, minus the "earned" portion (the aount of insurance you've used up) and an early cancellation penalty (about a 10% more that a pro rata cancellation.)

Can't do it as described. One of you needs to buy an annual policy on the airplane. Preferably the one that will legally own the airplane during the delivery flight since, really, that person is the only one that stands to suffer a loss. (If he hasn't bought it yet, I doubt he'll still be interested if it's wrecked)
After the sale is completed, you can cancel the policy and receive a premium refund, minus the "earned" portion (the aount of insurance you've used up) and an early cancellation penalty (about a 10% more that a pro rata cancellation.)

Be carefull, my policy had a minimum 50% cancel clause in it. Check your fine print on this one. I think this is where your broker will earn this money.

bob

Or hire a ferry pilot to fly the airplane and let them insure it.
When we ferry planes for people, we add it to our policy, which only has a 14 day minimum.

Or hire a ferry pilot to fly the airplane and let them insure it.

What he said. I know you wanted to fly it in yourself, but if the insurance aspect is that important to you and neither you or the buyer want to purchase the insurance for the ferry run, you might get with Steve Purcell in CO. He advertises on Barnstormers a lot. He has hull insurance on all of his ferrying services. He doesn?t charge for airline travel since it is free for him. His daily rate is very, very reasonable too. I recently used him to ferry a RV-6 plane from Ohio to TX. I highly recommend him. He won't dissapoint.