pmnewlon

Well Known Member
I put my fuel pump and flap up/down switch low and to the left on my panel layout so that they are close to my left hand / throttle. (I have to shorten the elevator trim lever to clear the panel in that area.) There is nothing behind the panel in that area to interfere with the switches. Because they are oriented length-wise I needed to space them out a bit and the fuel pump (top) switch is a little hidden. I can move the four switches above the audio panel / A200 but kinda like them where they are. Feedback about the location of the two switches would be appreciated!

Thanks, Phil

25q5751.jpg

Not for me

Hi Phil,

That's the last place I'd put them. I've built quite a few panels and have flown many RV's and I like my switches easily accessable (safe/functional/look good). Not to mention there is a very good possibility that you can (read 'will') snag your hand, wrist, or shirt sleeve on one of the controls when going to/from the switches. I wouldn't want to accidently pull the mixture knob when I was putting the flaps down on short final.

No brainer for me.....I wouldn't even consider that area as an option. You might consider using your stick grips as an option for one or both of the switches....not sure what you have going on there. Or use the area near the other switches.

Add on: I'd also be hesitant about shortening the trim lever. I've built/owned 4 RV's and flown many other 4's with manual trim. They were ALL very sensitive to trim adjustments at higher speeds. A longer lever will give you a much better feel for the trim at those higher speeds.

I've got some gray paint at the shop for that longeron deck if you need some stop on by :).

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Not to mention there is a very good possibility that you can (read 'will') snag your hand, wrist, or shirt sleeve on one of the controls when going to/from the switches. I wouldn't want to accidently pull the mixture knob when I was putting the flaps down on short final.

Good thought Rick. It didn't occur to me that I might drag a lever backwards as my hand left the flap switch. Thanks!

Add on: I'd also be hesitant about shortening the trim lever. I've built/owned 4 RV's and flown many other 4's with manual trim. They were ALL very sensitive to trim adjustments at higher speeds. A longer lever will give you a much better feel for the trim at those higher speeds.

I've got some gray paint at the shop for that longeron deck if you need some stop on by :).

Rick - I either have to shorten the lever, or cut that part of the panel out. The trim lever hits just forward of mid-travel. I don't think I need that much trim, but...... Maybe if I just take the bend off of it?

Yup, interior needs some touch up :)

Last edited:
Flap switch

I put mine on the grip,as well as elctric elev/ail trim. I am just about to finish my 40hr phase 1, and have been extreemely happy with the choice to put them there. My carb heat is directly in front of the throttle quadrant,and if I open the throttle with my left thumb sticking out it pushes carb heat "off". I never have to let go of the stick or throttle during flight,wich is great if things are windy or very "busy ",nor do I have to look for it.

Bill E
N76WE/RV4
Advance NC