AntiGravity

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

I'm afraid I know nothing about electrical whatever. Heck, I have no idea what a battery contactor looks like, let alone where it goes, how it gets mounted, how it gets wired, etc. I need some guidance. Yes, I've purchased (and read) AeroElectric Connection: the more I read the more confused I get.

The diagram below (originally done in Visio 2007, btw) was my first attempt and cobbled together from a modified Bill Repucci design that Chad Jensen started on (thanks guys!), with reference to the Bob Nucolls Z-13/8 diagram (which seems to be a lot more complex?). References this thread by Chad Jensen on A.N.Other forum. I haven't broken out the various buses yet; they will be in separate drawings.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi Jeff,
I'm not an expert too but I think you have to wire a cable from the battery straight to the battery bus if you want it to be "always hot". This way, in the event of a generator failure, you can close the e-bus switch and power up the endurance bus from the battery via the battery bus. On the endurance bus you will connect all equipment you think is essential for a safe flight in the event of a generator failure (primary flight instruments, COM radio, flaps, fuel pump, ecc.)
On the battery bus you will connect all the equipment you need to be powered with the master switch off (clock, cabin light (?) ...)
More, I think there is something wrong with the master switch and battery contactor wiring. I don't have on hand my schematic to check it, but I think someone more experienced will point out the error easily.

Oops

Hi Claudio, yep, you are correct. Its right there on my hand-drawn sketch that I just recovered from the waste basket; I missed it! :eek:

EDIT:I also re-checked Bob Nucolls Z-13/A diagram and I think I am now more aligned with it. Updated the original post with the new diagram

Last edited:
Feedback

The AeroElectric Connection can be overwhelming if you try reading it from start to finish. I'd suggest reading through the final summary chapter first. It's well written and will get you excited about how much better your electrical system can be than that of a 30 year old factory built plane. Then go over the basic Z-11 diagram until you really understand it. Use the preceeding chapters as a reference. For example, go back and look up what a contactor, current limiter, fuse link or 2-5 switch is.

Once you've done this, you'll be in a position to consider making your system more complex, if you want to.

... Bill

My 2 cents...

Jeff, you can find some generic documents that can help with contactors and connectors here: http://www.verticalpower.com/documents.html

As far as the diagram you have up there now, the EFIS, avionics, and P-mags should go off your main bus or e-bus. The battery bus should be for clocks or other low-current draw items that are always on.

Also, the alt field circuit should come off the main bus. Make sure you have some sort of OV protection!

Of course, you could simplify this quite a bit with the VP-100. :D

Last edited:
My 1 1/2 cents...

I agree with MCA that your alt field circuit should come from the main bus instead of the always hot battery bus. I don't recall there being a fusible link in that circuit, since it is protected by the breaker.

Roger
-9A slow QB
La Grande Oregon