638RS

Well Known Member
Does anyone have experience using this specific GPS in their RV? I have read lot about Anywhere map on PDA's and other devices but found little info on the ATC.

I purchased my AWM ATC to serve as a backup for my 296. It has been a rocky road to say the least. Some people say the unit was released in an early beta iteration. It has come a long way since I got my first unit on 5/28/08. I had to return that to Control Vision on 5/30/08 because the screen seized, it stopped working.

IMO the unit is not quite ready for seamless operation. Patience and being technologically savvy are helpful (perhaps essential) qualities if you intend to obtain one now.

The good news eclipses the warts. Although I'm still learning to use it, the screen is large for such a small (PDA) platform. Tech support is outstanding. In fact I would have returned my unit before the 30 day refund period had I not received stellar support. And the price especially w/ the weather function (which I do not have) is sweet. Data updates are released daily and uploaded via your computer.

If you haven't already perused the dedicated web site I suggest you become familiar w/ it. There's a lot of info about the unit there. http://www.anywheremap.com/atc/

If you have specific questions, I'd be glad to try to answer them. My experience w/ this GPS does not mirror others who have had no problems. My intent is not to dunn this product. I just want you to be aware mine has required 'special handling' to coax it to work. Contrast that w/ the light switch ease of my Garmin 296. Yet I am intrigued and continue to use my new ATC GPS.

flyguy152

Thanks for the report on your experience with the ATC.

I have spent a lot of time on their web site and have downloaded the manual and read through it. What the information doesn't tell me is:

1. real world reliability of the system since it is a windows based unit
2. Reliability of the bluetooth interface to drive my Trio autopilot
3. is it really easy to see in bright sunlight

Unfortunately there are no dealers in the area where i can get my hands on one to review. I really hate to order one only to have to return it if it doesn't meet my needs..

There is probably plenty of information on this system on the Anywhere Map mesage boards. Unfortunately, you have to be a current customer (i.e. already own the product) to even browse through their message boards.

Thanks for the report on your experience with the ATC.

I have spent a lot of time on their web site and have downloaded the manual and read through it. What the information doesn't tell me is:

1. real world reliability of the system since it is a windows based unit
2. Reliability of the bluetooth interface to drive my Trio autopilot
3. is it really easy to see in bright sunlight

QUOTE]

In my limited experience, real world reliability is poor due to screen freeze ups, although this is less frequent w/ newer updates. I do not use bluetooth. Compared w/ my 296, I judge the screen to be about 70% as bright.

anywhere map atc

purchased anywhere map ATC in july. wxworx box failed in one hour. delayed trip waiting for replacement (they charged me $73 shipping). second unit failed approaching atlanta. the ATC unit also had issues such as locking up. i agreed to let them send me a whole new unit after they had tested it prior to shipping. after a week of waiting i found out they hadn't even started the process...was then told i would have to pay for another unit because "they were expensive"...i suppose they didn't trust me with their broken equipment. three calls to management have gone unanswered. UPDATE: AFTER SENDING BACK THE TWO BROKEN UNITS THEY CHARGED ME $228 FOR A RESTOCKING FEE. I'LL DISPUTE THE AMEX CHARGE

Last edited:
ATC

I bought one at OSH. I did not buy the weather option. Other than contacting tech support to find out how to get the clock to retain the local time (soft reset), the unt works great. Screen resolution is 800x480 and that makes for sharp text and graphics on its 4" wide screen.
A quick scan of the forums indicates most of the software problems were resolved with the current release. The pdf docs are an early version and are being rewritten. However, tech support is outstanding.

10 hours and still happy with the product,
Steve

purchased anywhere map ATC in july. wxworx box failed in one hour. delayed trip waiting for replacement (they charged me $73 shipping). second unit failed approaching atlanta. the ATC unit also had issues such as locking up. i agreed to let them send me a whole new unit after they had tested it prior to shipping. after a week of waiting i found out they hadn't even started the process...was then told i would have to pay for another unit because "they were expensive"...i suppose they didn't trust me with their broken equipment. three calls to management have gone unanswered. UPDATE: AFTER RETURNING THE BROKEN UNITS THEY CHARGED ME $228 FOR A RESTOCKING FEE. I'M DISPUTING THE AMEX CHARGE