scard

Well Known Member
Advertiser
This is a query for those with nose draggers. When you are at some far and away medium-size airport and have the local FBO store your bird in a hangar for a few days while you do whatever it is you're doing there, how well do they handle towing the airplane. Are there prevalent disaster stories of tow bars, tugs, and wheel pants? Or do they generally know how to treat our nose gear? Do you insist on watching them like a hawk until it is tucked away in the hangar?

Yeah, we're planning a big adventure, and this is a real concern that came to mind. I almost feel like, once we get there, I tell them not to touch it, "just let me know where you want it", as I whip out my trusty tow bar. Across the tarmac I will go, dragging my airplane in toe...? Do I really have to go to that extreme? Seems kind of undignified on the ramp :). Also, do you always take your tow bar with you when going on a long cross country?

The "big adventure" is departing this Thursday, Austin -> Minneapolis, Minnesota (thinking Flying Cloud airport?). We've barely been out of the state in the last year, a very big step for us.

this may not be much help since I haven't stopped at that many airports over night. maybe 6 or 8. I carry my tow bar and they have always used it when it was necessary to move my plane and their stuff didn't work.

However, most places have wood chocks that won't fit under our wheel pants so I carry a set of aluminum chocks

Hi Scott,

For many years I flew a Mooney 201 (M20J) all over the SE U.S. as well as back and forth between Tampa and Texas while Janie and I lived in Florida. The nose gear on the Mooney is easily damaged by over zealous handlers turning it beyond the limits noted on the gear (it actually has a pointer to indicate over rotation). I made it a point to go with the handler when they had to move my plane to storage but still had to stop them on numerous occassions just before they over rotated the gear while towing. Damage is so prevalent that several companies make a pretty good living just repairing Mooney nose gear structure damaged during towing. Given my experience with that airplane I will always "help" a handler who may need to move my 9a--I just have this fear, maybe unjustified, of returning to find a bent or damaged nose gear leg.

Just my opinion based on my own personal experiences.

Oh, and yes, I do take my tow bar on all trips.

Cheers,

db

Last edited:
I usually carry my tow bar with me. One time they did not use my tow bar (they used a tug) and damaged my wheel pant (hole on one side enlarged). After that experience I always mention to the lineman that the holes in my nose wheel pant are small and I am leaving them my tow bar.

Many FBOs don't have hangar spaces and you will have to tie down. I carry my own tie down ropes as well. Some airports do not have tie down rope! So far I have used mine a few times.