islandmonkey

Well Known Member
Over the last holiday, and since I am recovering from a pretty nasty illness, I have had a lot of time on my hands. One of my main recent current pastimes is perusing VAF and reading what people are up to. However VAF is a great source of information and I have taken to reading those relevant threads that pertain to my up and coming recommence of building my RV-4, bookmarking them for future reference. I have booked marked threads so far on flap motors, fluting, alternate oil cooler takeoff feeds and the Main Squeeze from Cleavland. I will continue to do this for the future.

What do other VAF members do with threads that cause the brain to light up. Do they bookmark or rely on the search or post a thread and ask. I suspect all three.

If you have a favourite thread in the area of building and construction and any gotchas, a thread that gives gems of information how about sharing. I am trying to cover some of my bases before I get there.

Last edited:
I have a Favorites folder called RV12, with about 30 sub-folders for all the useful stuff that I've come across on the forum (and the odd non-VAF forum as well). I just add the post to the relevant folder for future reference. I started collecting while waiting for my kit to ship from the US. Saves a lot of searching on the forum, although I do that too.

Although the documentation for the RV-12 is amazingly good, I've still picked up a lot of tips, traps and good ideas from other -12 builders on VAF. It's a fantastic source of information and help for a first time builder like me.

I really got a lot out of Dan's series on making his custom air box. Printed the whole thing and added it to my fat 'Airframe' binder at the hangar.
Thanks Dan!!

If it is Dan Checkoway your talking about, yes it is a shame that his build site is no longer available. However, there is more and I think better information out there now on the web and also ferreted away here on VAF. It is finding the gems that I am interested in.

For example, I remember some posts from DanH about fiberglassing his canopy and his emp. I am searching for these posts now.