szicree

Well Known Member
I need to remove some cured DP Epoxy from aluminum. I tried some aircraft stripper once and it worked just ok. I actually found acetone and a rag to work just as well. Anybody got a good recommendation on what will work real well??

PTI

I need to remove some cured DP Epoxy from aluminum. I tried some aircraft stripper once and it worked just ok. I actually found acetone and a rag to work just as well. Anybody got a good recommendation on what will work real well??

Steve... I've used the PTI PRY stripper from Aircraft Spruce on 30 year old DuPont Colar epoxy primer.
It worked quite well, but don't get any on your skin, it will burn...:(

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/ptiremovers.php

...but if acetone and a rag worked on your DP epoxy, it wasn't really cured (or mixed well)... epoxy primers should be quite resistant to acetone.

...and it's just down the street from you...:)

gil A

Thanks Gil. I'll give it a try. Re the acetone thing, I was surprised as well. It takes a little rubbing, but it does cut right through the DP. The stuff was mixed per specs and has cured for many months (years even). It's the lead-free DP, but I wouldn't think that would matter.

Try a stripper called oddly enough "Aircraft Remover." No it doesn't erase your airplane from planet Earth, but it does do a heck of a job removing paint, very easy. And even more strange is that it is usually available at common auto parts stores.

Jerry