pierre smith

Well Known Member
Mornin' everybody,
I'm contemplating building a fast (Faster??) RV7 and hope for a 215 MPH cruise at 75% using a 180 HP engine. Where would you guys ,George, start with a clean sheet? My thoughts are:
1. James type cowl and plenum.
2. Rounded lower exit ramp.
3. Gap seals on tail feathers and ailerons (why not?)
4. Fair fuel drains, aileron hinges, etc.
5 Keep weight below 1100 lbs.
6. Has to be side-by-side.....wifey says.

If Dave Anders can get 265 MPH out of an RV4, is 215-220 not reasonable with a 180? What else could improve the cruise speeds? :cool:

Idle hands?!!?

Pierre, the paint isn't dry good on the -6A, and your ready to start another??!!! You and Robbie, I don't know!

Greetings Pierre,

Is there any certain reason you are going with only the 180 h.p. engine? If you really want 215 m.p.h. cruise, you could always consider an angle valve 200 h.p. engine to make things much easier for you. Am I assuming you just want to keep the engine you have in your -6A?

Just curious... :)

Tracy Saylors (sp) does 215+ all day long in his 180 hp RV6. Give him a call.
Tom
Northern California

James cowl

Does anyone have a mod for using the James FI cowl without extending the prop hub?

I love the idea of his cowl and plenum but I want I don't want the prop way out there adding stress to the crank.

Sid, SJ now does "standard length" cowls as well.. some details should be on his website.

Sid Lambert said:
Does anyone have a mod for using the James FI cowl without extending the prop hub?
I emailed them last week to ask this same question - they said that you have to use the "long cowl" (and thus use a prop extension) if you have forward facing fuel injection. They do sell a "short cowl" for a carbureted or vertically injected Lycoming, but there is no "short cowl" for horizontal injection unless you roll your own.

I hate fiberglass work and I don't want a prop extension, so I guess I'll be keeping the stock Van's cowl.

mcb

speed mods

Pierre,

You could also consider keeping antennae inside the fuselage or wing tips.

Good luck and keep us posted!