prkaye

Well Known Member
I am using the dynon pitot/AOA tube with the safeair mast. The instructions have you drill and tap small holes in the base of the pitot tube for screws to hold the tube in the mast. It's a very thin bit of material you are tapping, and I managed to mess up a couple of the holes. I've got it in there now with 3 #6 screws and one #4 screw. But I wonder if there is an alternative, better way to secure the dynon pitot tube in the mast?

I used 4 of #6/32 countersunk threaded screws. If you look at the pitot from the top there are 4 spots on it that are quite thick. That is where I tapped the threads into. Also i wrapped about 3 or four wraps of black electrical tap around the pitot tube where it inserts into the mast to give it a nice fit before installing the screws. Looks very good, and will not come loose.

M3 !

Yep, there is: you should use "M3" screws, no problem at all ! :D Easy to get at every local hardware store, as well.

(M3 = 3 mm dia., metric thread)

Regards, Tonny.

#6 ss truss head

i used #6 ss truss head screws
img1288w.jpg

I used 4 of #6/32 countersunk threaded screws. If you look at the pitot from the top there are 4 spots on it that are quite thick. That is where I tapped the threads into. Also i wrapped about 3 or four wraps of black electrical tap around the pitot tube where it inserts into the mast to give it a nice fit before installing the screws. Looks very good, and will not come loose.

Jarvis,
I used electrical tape at first to improve the fit. But I took it off, worried about what happens to the tape when the pitot is turned on.
How is your's holding up to use?

I have the same question this thread is asking. Right now I have 4 holes drilled, but haven't found a fastener I'm happy with. I hope I drilled those holes in the right place. I guess they could be patched with some JB weld.

Jarvis,
I used electrical tape at first to improve the fit. But I took it off, worried about what happens to the tape when the pitot is turned on.
How is your's holding up to use?

Some aluminum duct tape should solve the problem, if it's too hot for standard electrical tape. The adhesive might get a bit sticky, at worst.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Fastening Dynon Pitot Tube

Here is how I did mine:

http://www.jasonbeaver.com/rv7/2009/09/pitot-tube-and-mount.html

I used aluminum flashing tape to take up the gap between the tube and mount. I used two holes on each side for flush 6-32 stainless steel screws. The rear ones were through the thick section of metal, but I didn't put the forward ones through the thick section because I didn't think the screws would sit very flush there due to the curvature on that part of the tube.

I can't speculate on how the electrical tape would hold up on the heated pitot, however it seems to be working fine on the unheated one. I would agree that aluminum ducting tape would be the best choice for the heated version.