axlr8r

Well Known Member
I've had the opportunity to see a couple of local -8 fastback conversions. So far, I really like what I've seen and now I'm trying to decide if that's the style for me.
I would appreciate any advise (pros/cons) about the conversion. Also, both of local ones had tip-up canopys - I'd really like to see photos of some with sliders too.
I've checked the F1 and Harmon Rocket sites but I can't tell if what I see there is representative of what a -8 would look like with a slider. Can anyone refer me to someone with a -8 fastback slider ?

Thanks

Steve

Tom Clark slider FB

I'm doing the Tom Clark slider FB. Not much of a kit, as such, just some replacement bulkhead tops and some instructions. Cut your own top skin, buy & modify your own canopy, and modify the Vans canopy frame or build your own. Can't offer any real advice yet, as I've only just started, but keep an eye on my slow-progress kitlog over the next few months...

Tom clark kit

OK Jeff,
Thanks for your comments. I'll google the Tom Clark kit and hopefully be able to find some pics of what the -8 with a slider will look like. Meanwhile, I'll stay tuned to your project. It should look great. BTW - check out showplanes.com for their fastback conversion project pics.

Thanks again

Steve

Prefer the slider

I looked at the showplanes kit too. From what I've read right here on the forums the kit is very high quality and the company are good to work with. However, I really wanted to retain the slider, so it was not for me. Hence the reason I went with TC. I suspect the TC 'kit' is a great deal more work, but I do get exactly what I want, which is after all why I'm build a plane in the first place, right? Good decision? Tell you when I'm done!!! :D

Axel and Jeff

You guys are right about showplanes. I live near their shop and have visited with Brian and his dad a couple of times. Both of the fastbacks I have seen were done by them and they are nothing short of fabulous. I'm planning on using their cowl and a few other parts.
Axl, are you doing the tip up or are you going to go with a slider ? I'd really like to see what a fastback slider looks like.

Steve

You guys are right about showplanes. I live near their shop and have visited with Brian and his dad a couple of times. Both of the fastbacks I have seen were done by them and they are nothing short of fabulous. I'm planning on using their cowl and a few other parts.
Axl, are you doing the tip up or are you going to go with a slider ? I'd really like to see what a fastback slider looks like.

Steve

I am going with the sidewards-opening canopy. The slider is cool but my main reason for the sidewards-opening canopy is this: I am used to flying aircraft with very good Field Of View out of the cockpits. I personally did not want to have the roll bar in front of me or a cut in the canopy. The winds out here will give me trouble once in a while however, I will spend 98% of the time flying and only about 2% on the ground. So I am optimizing my needs for when I am flying. The roll bar will go behind my head. That is the beauty of building your own aircraft. You get to optimize to your needs as much as money allows:rolleyes: