Jamie

Well Known Member
All too often we (me included) tend to publically deride vendors when things aren't going our way, but we seldom make positive comments when things do go our way.

Yesterday I sat down and finally ordered some tray screws on-line from McMaster-Carr for my GPS (I lost the originals). Anyway, I ordered the screws at about 11:00 am. At about 3 o'clock, my wife calls me and says "hey...you just had a delivery". My initial reaction was to scan my memory for some order I had forgotten about. When I asked her who it was from, she said it was from McMaster-Carr.

That's what I call service. They get my hardware orders from now on.

If anyone needs some of those 4-40 tray screws, I have 100 of them. Send me an addressed, stamped envelope and I'll throw some in the mailbox for you. Send me a PM for my snail mail address.

...not affiliated...just a customer...

Best,

Mcmaster Carr

McMaster Carr is great for instant shipments if they have it in stock. They have a warehouse in Atlanta hence the fast delivery.

Makes you wonder about companies that wait for days to ship an order after you place the order when they have the stuff in stock.

Van's almost always takes two or three days to ship an order even for stock stuff. I do not understand this. Why would they always want a backlog like that in their system when it should be possible to stay caught up on the orders most of the time?

Last edited:
abused

i have beaten vans up about this in the past and i still dont like it BUT they are trying to do too much with to little imho..if you can stay three days behind consistently then you can stay on time just as easily..vans however has come around for me and i get great service now and they have never questioned me when i was short just sent me the parts i claimed for. i ordered the sub panel ribs and said i would pay for the fwd top skin and they sent it free of charge. they know i some how probally screwed something up (EVEN THOUGH I CANT TELL WHAT CAUSE THE NEW ONES FIT PERFECT)but took care of it anyway.they probally get caught up by friday and then after the slew of weekend web orders are back down 3 days by monday..more help directly affects the cost of the kit's and although people will easily say i dont mind that,people would.

Last edited:
MSC is also very good. I tend to buy most of my machine tool stuff there. Next day service to Montgomery is routine and doesn't cost extra.

Another is Fastenall, in particular if they open a branch store in your town. They are doing so nationwide. Good store selection, or you get anything they warehouse at no shipping cost in a day or two. Prices are excellent. In real life I'm a used car and commercial truck dealer; my new local store put me on a commercial discount basis without being asked.

Dan Horton

I've found the following companies all ship the same day or next:
McMaster-Carr
B&C Specialty
Mouser
Aircraft Spruce

That comes in very handy when you get to the electrical. Every part seems to need a different connector, screw, etc.

Dave

Brantel said:
Makes you wonder about companies that wait for days to ship an order after you place the order when they have the stuff in stock.

Van's almost always takes two or three days to ship an order even for stock stuff. I do not understand this. Why would they always want a backlog like that in their system when it should be possible to stay caught up on the orders most of the time?

I have had in-stock orders take 5 days to get out the door at Van's. Put the crating charge on top of that and it take 7 to 10 days for orders to get to Houston (USPS or UPS ground) and its almost not worth it if you can get it somewhere else. I was even faxing in my parts orders and writing "RUSH" on the form but unless you pay for overnight, they just won't be rushed.

Very frustrating :mad: I rarely order parts from Van's anymore.

Karl