RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I have my QB fuselage in the garage and it has a piece of wood bolted into the spar where the wing spar would attach. My question is when should this be removed. I am afraid the wood might attract moisture which would then cause corrosion? Also the outside of the wings and fuselage has some type of oil protect ant put on there, is this OK to leave on until the areas are ready for paint? The interior areas do not have the oil just the skins on the out side.

Thanks

Just remove 'em

On my 7 QB at least they provided no useful funtion during the build so I just took 'em off.

Frank
7a

Oil

Ya sure it doesn't do any harm to leave the oil on the skins...Its a pain because you have to thoroughly remove it before prepping for paint and its a bit of a pain.

I suspect they put the oil on to protect from the salt air in a shipping container on the ocean.

Corrosion on any sort of aluminium is really a not event in a normal shop like environment.

Cheers and have fun building..:)

Frank

I left my false spars in for much of the build, as I used them to support the fuselage on a small roll-around cart. I only removed them when I got the fuse on the gear (because I kept bumping into them, and also had to install some bolts inside the spar), and I actually reinstalled them for the trip to the airport, so that I'd have a solid tie-down point to the trailer. I don't think you can go wrong leaving them in or removing them.

Paul

I left mine on and bolted legs with casters on them. It was on its own gear the day after the QB kit arrived. ;-)

03022006dump201wc8.jpg

Nemo:

I've had the false spars in place for over a year. For part of the construction, I mounted the fuselage on a rotisserie. For other jobs (the stuff that requires you to climb in and crawl around), I made this simple wooden stand with notches for the spars to rest in:

FuselageStand-05.jpg

BTW, I supported the tail with a padded sawhorse. The stand was/is very stable, and I'm thankful I left those spars in place.

As far as the protectant oil on the skin, it's your choice. I ended up cleaning off most of it after getting "slimed" once too often. :)

Have fun with your project.

When Mounting Wings

When I was ready to mount the wings for the first time I built a support base for the fuselage and removed the false spars at that time.
Hope this helps.
Jeff
N888JM
RV8A

I'm leaving mine until the wings go on. Using the jackstands, it is easy to set or reset the working height. Then a simple adjustment at the tail to level everything. Solution time <15 seconds.

I toyed with the idea of building a rotating stand, but found with the adjustable height, It wasn't needed. Sometimes I think I spend more time finding a nifty or perfect tool when I should just build.

ps- the jackstand were sitting in the corner, so it was a no cost fix. YMMV.

Disclaimer: I'm also on a strict budget and try not to spend money I don't have. I use a borrowed C-frame dimpler and hand squeezer.

Last edited:
I'm old school. I just have a bunch of different size sawhorses holding up the fuselage. I took out the wood spacers pretty early in the process. I kinda think they served no particularly useful purpose in the first place.