Stephen Lindberg

Well Known Member
I've decided to install a Dynon FlightDEK-D180 in my 7A with an ASI and altimeter to the left and right, respectively, of the Dynon. I'm tempted to install the Chinese made Falcon altimeter for $185 rather than spending three times more for a United. I'll be VFR and the dial altimeter is just so I don't get confused looking at the Dynon, at least until I get used to it. A security blanket you might say. Does anyone have any experience with the Chinese altimeter they can report? Complete junk or a bargain? For my purposes I'm thinking it will be good enough. Thanks - Steve.

I think it is fine. When I had my pitot-static test done prior to 1st flight, the calibration turned out to be right on. Both the Dynon and the Falcon were very accurate across the entire range of tested altitudes.

The fellow who performed the test said it was better than most altimeters he's tested.

Stephen Lindberg said:
I've decided to install a Dynon FlightDEK-D180 in my 7A with an ASI and altimeter to the left and right, respectively, of the Dynon. I'm tempted to install the Chinese made Falcon altimeter for $185 rather than spending three times more for a United. I'll be VFR and the dial altimeter is just so I don't get confused looking at the Dynon, at least until I get used to it. A security blanket you might say. Does anyone have any experience with the Chinese altimeter they can report? Complete junk or a bargain? For my purposes I'm thinking it will be good enough. Thanks - Steve.

Falcon Altimeter

I have been flying with the Falcon Altimeter for almost three years without any problems. The static checks passed just fine. Save the extra money, there are lots of things you can use it for.

Suggestion - You will find yourself looking more at the falcon unit - I did. I just completed another panel and installed 2 1/4 a/s, alt, and vs - grouped together away from the primary display. It will force you to adapt to the dynon display.. remember, their purpose is backup only. Believe me - it is more difficult than you think to rely on the dynon when you have a "crutch" in front of you.

Mine was very accurate when first installed and static-checked. I did notice, though, that the needle seemed to bounce around a lot even in the slightest turbulence and it made me wonder if there was some slop in the mechanics. Then somewhere in the last few months I noticed that it had started to be 0.10" off the correct barometric setting. It has stayed that way consistently since.

It looks like it has an adjustment screw like the VSI. Anyone know if it's okay to adjust the thing?

Jack,
Only a certified instrument shop can legaly adjust the altimeter.
Mel...DAR

Jack Fromm said:
Mine was very accurate when first installed and static-checked. I did notice, though, that the needle seemed to bounce around a lot even in the slightest turbulence and it made me wonder if there was some slop in the mechanics. Then somewhere in the last few months I noticed that it had started to be 0.10" off the correct barometric setting. It has stayed that way consistently since.

It looks like it has an adjustment screw like the VSI. Anyone know if it's okay to adjust the thing?

I don't know about "OK" to adjust, I guess Mel added his voice to that one.

but Yes it has an adjustment screw and it's easy to adjust. First set the elevation you are at on the display. You simply back out the screw on the face a bit, slide it down which disengages the gears, turn it to the proper barametric pressure, pop the screw back up into place and tighten.

Mel said:
Jack,
Only a certified instrument shop can legaly adjust the altimeter.
Mel...DAR

I'm not about to argue with Mel on the legalities of all this stuff (he's almost always right), but I do find it funny how the experimental nature of these airplanes creates some interesting situations.

I could design my own homebrew EFIS system which would be legal for operation in an experimental, but I could not legally use the calibration code that I WROTE to adjust it? Weird.

Falcon Altimeter

My first Falcom altimeter, purchased from Van's, came with a stripped thread on the static air connection. I did not find the problem until the warrantee period was over so Walrad/Falcon charged $65 for replacement. The second altimeter lasted just over a year before developing a leak and drifting off by well over a thousand feet. That time, Walrad charged $120 for replacement. The Falcon and my Dynon D10A generally agree to within 20 feet. Unfortunately, I don't know of another cheap altimeter that is more reliable. If I were to do my panel over, I don't know if I would bother with an analogue altimeter.

Jamie,
I agree that the altimeter is easy to adjust, and I understand your questioning the legality of the adjustment. The reason for having an instrument shop do the adjustment is that you are adjusting it at only one point. It must be somewhat accurate over the entire range. It comes under the same requirements that the transponder check must be made by a professional. When you are flying in the same system as all other certificated aircraft, everyone must be using the same altitude standard.
Mel...DAR

Mine arrived from Van's out 600 feet. I returned it the next day and will spring for a United I guess. Ouch!