glenn654

Well Known Member
I am considering using aileron and fuel sump fairings. Are they worthwhile? Any known problems with their use?
Need that extra knot ya know.

Glenn Wilkinson

Use them for looks

If they look better to you, go ahead and use fairings.

Don't worry yourself with the drag. On the RV, we're already dealing with a stubby hershey-bar wing and an airfoil from the 1930's... a couple little bumps aren't going to have a measurable effect on performance. If you want to improve performance, focus on weight first.

Good luck,

David

I vote YES!

Hey Glenn:

Long time no see at OKZ. I had many speed mods, including them on my Mooney and felt the money was worth the overall gain. I have ordered and received them for my HRII and hope the overall drag reduction package will again be worth the investment. The look good too!

Why don't you start a HRII? Ray and I will each have one going at OKZ later this summer.

Drop by sometime. For those that don't know, Glenn has a beautiful RV-4.

If you do it please report your findings

I would be interested to know how they work out for you. I have stared at the fuel drains and have considered a flush plug replacement but there probably isn't a lot to be gained there - a tenth of a knot or less is my guess. Complete removel of the steps only got me a half knot. I don't know what the aileron fairings look like but I think there is something to be had there that is well worth going for. It is one of my tasks to get completed on my plane before the AirVenture Cup Race this year. In that area the is a closed in trailing edge recesson the on the tips, both ends of the aileron and the flaps; the aileron mounting brackets and attachment hardware stick down in the wind; and there are large access holes for assembly.

Bob Axsom