sahrens

Well Known Member
Here are the images of the tail fairing I received from Bob at Fairings-Etc. My first trim took an 1/8" and my second trim slightly less. I think the images speak for Bob's work.

Empennage316_zps9812b22e.jpg

Empennage317_zpse0fb3cca.jpg

Empennage318_zpscfaa265c.jpg

For those that don't know Bob is retiring. His business is for sale, but with or without sale he is shutting down in June. So if you want his tail fairing or intersection fairings now is the time to order.

So far from needing this but... How is the vans fairing in comparison? How much do these cost? Worth getting now if I won't need it for a year or so?

With all the good comments i've heard over the years about Fairings etc. fairings, and all the complaints i've seen about the factory ones, I wonder if the factory should buy the molds from Fairings etc. when Bob retires?

So far from needing this but... How is the vans fairing in comparison? How much do these cost? Worth getting now if I won't need it for a year or so?

I worked and worked on the fairing from Van's. Many hours into it I realized I had many hours to go. I decided the cost of the Fairings-etc fairing was significantly less than the cost of my time fixing the supplied fairing. Check his website for the price, but mine was $250.00 plus shipping.

My vans fairing actually fit pretty darn good right out of the box. Taped over the aluminum and back filled the few gaps with micro and I saved $250. Just one data point.

My vans fairing actually fit pretty darn good right out of the box. Taped over the aluminum and back filled the few gaps with micro and I saved $250. Just one data point.
I've done an initial test fit with the Van's-supplied piece and it's pretty decent. Maybe they're using a different supplier or mold these days?

One tip. Making a custom inspection plate and cutting off the tabs on the rear of the fairing makes removing the fairing much easier and reduces the risk of scratching things back there.

(Click to enlarge)

I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious to know if anyone has figured out why the Fairings Etc tail fairing fits great on some -7s and not so great on others.

I'm in the process of fairing up my empennage, but the right side of the Fairings Etc fairing will take a *lot* of hacking to get it to fit. Left side fits really well, so I'm not sure why the right side is so far off?

Its so far off I had to go back in the plans to make sure I didn't accidentally put the vertical stab's 1/4" offset in the wrong direction!

**** fiberglass.. between this and the cowl my build would have been done ages ago.