pvalovich

Well Known Member
The instructions for the -8A lower main gear intersection fairing includes the bolded statement, "You must laminate the joint with 3 or 4 layers of cloth". I'm having a hard time visualizing exactly what is meant. Anyone have any words of wisdom?

I've also posted on Matt's board and emailed Bob - trying to get some ideas in order to maximize Thanksgiving weekend productivity.

Imagine gluing the fairing to the wheel pant. You then have an edge all around the fairing. You need to cover this edge with fiberglass to transition it smoothly and strongly to the wheel pant. The fiberglass must overlap the fairing and the wheel pant. Imagine the fiberglass as tape and you are taping the fairing to the wheel pant.

Prep

He's got it right. Just make sure you clean the glass with soap and water then acetone or alcohol. Before attaching the piece and the additional cloth sand with 100 grit paper and turn the glass white. Clean again before attaching.

Some builders use screws and nutplates to attach the fairing to the pant. I did the fiberglass method.