RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

I post this in the general section since it is not model specific.
I searched all the fairing posts on this forum but did not find what I am looking for.

I am about to fit my RV7 empennage to fuse faring, but I have not done any fibreglass work at all before. Fiberglas is a BIG Question now :confused: . I have a couple of specific questions.

1) Can someone point me into the direction of site that describes the Emp to Fuse faring process well. (Dan?s site just skimp over it)
2) What is the best ?tool? to cut the fibreglass fairing smaller? And to work with glass.
3) Is Timmerman washers included in Van?s kit to attach the fairings, I cant seem to find any.

Any QUICK help, guidance or links appreciated, I'd like to try and finish the fitting tomorrow.

Thank you, Kind Regards
Rudi

Last edited:
Trim the fiberglass with a rotary cutting tool with a carbon fiber blade. You can use aviation snips or scissors, but the fiberglass will dull the blades VERY quickly. When you get the shape close to what you want, use a file.

Tinnermans are not included in Van's kit. Hold the fairing in place with Clekos for a while, then order tinnermans with your next order through Aircraft Spruce or Wicks...

Rudi -

I did a lot of my fiberglass chaping with sanding disks on my angle die grinder, as well as with an Orbtial sander. You can remove a lot of material quickly with a course grit!

Paul

The thin cut-off disc Van's supplies for slicing up the canopy are excellent for fiberglass. Since the emp fairings are in the finish kit, two discs are in one of the parts bags. One trick I use that allows you to make the initial cut very close to the final line (affected by how well you immobilize the workpiece and hold and guide the die grinder, of course) is to define the cut with masking tape. Don't depend on a drawn line, other than to locate the masking tape, because the line will instantly be obscured with dust and you'll loose your reference. The raised tape edge remains visible.

Also, I'd recommend sticky-back abrasive paper on flat wood blocks for final edge trimming. If a shallow radius is involved, get some "soft blocks" from an auto paint store (same source for all manner of abrasive paper), and consider varying diameters of anything that fits the desired form to which you stick the paper. While you're there, might as well start chatting up fiberglass finishing techniques and products with them. You'll need all this stuff eventually as you move forward of the firewall.

Files will dull in no time, and being rather narrow, their utility is limited in creating long, flat edges.

John Siebold

Rudy, while you're messin with it, food for thought... check out this page and the one that follows...

-Jeff

http://www.jeffsrv-7a.com/FUSELAGE/04-08-18.htm

FUSELAGE%20122.jpg

Tools are cheap compared to airplanes

I found the fairing pretty easy to work with actually. Using a thin cuttoff wheel for trimming and cutting worked well. Sanding and filing to finish was very straight forward - no science project. The thing that was very unacceptable to me was the fit to the upper surface of the horizontal stabilizer. I ender up cutting the flanges off and laying up new ones on the rest of the fairing and the waxed surface of the horizontal stabilizer. Ended up with a perfect fit instead of gaps between fastener locations. If you have that problem - be brave, it's worth the trouble and you will learn something about fiberglass - it can be your friend.

Bob Axsom

Old 1997 post

Rudi.... if the fit of your kit fairing is bad, this method works well. It's a copy of one of my 1997 posting on another board, and it was copied by Van in the RVator.

Essentially you are using the old fairing to make a "floppy" mold, which is then taped in place and built up to the final thickness. Epoxy helps here over polyester. I presume you can get the WEST System epoxies in S. Africa...

--------- old post -----------

1. Go out and buy WEST epoxy and 410 microballoons.

2. Use Vans part as a male mold to make new fairing with only ONE layer of
4 oz. cloth. Get some mold wax and PVA release agent and use them to
ensure separation after curing.

3. Tape everything in sight at the fin/stab. area with a layer of vinyl
tape. I used 3M #417 tape (also called 'glider tape' ...:^) Do not use
masking tape ... this taped surface must be a release for epoxy. Do a good
job here or you will find all sorts of eppenage parts unintentionally
bonded into a single assembly....:^)

4. The molding you just made is VERY flexible and can now be taped in place
at it's edges only (the edge 1/8 inch only) on the fin/stab junction. I
used vinyl electrical tape a different color from the tape of step 3. It
will hold it's curve well when the edges are held.

5. It probably won't fit well around the LE of the fin ... no big deal,
just cut a notch in the molding so it fits. Every plane seems to be
different in this area.

6. Lay up 2 layers of 9 oz. cloth (satin weave preferred) onto of your
thin, taped-in-place molding with the WEST epoxy. Use separate pieces on
each side and overlap an inch or two at the centerline. The floppy cloth
should nicely bridge the the notch you had to cut in step 5. Use a peel
ply over the final wet layup and gently squeegee the excess resin into the
peel ply ... I cut the peel ply into 3 to 4 inch wide strips since the peel
ply won't conform well to curves.

7. Let cure completely. Leave it for 2 or 3 times longer than you would
think ...:^)

8. Sand lightly .. you will usually need some sort of curved sanding block
... I made one from blue foam.

9. Any low spots found in the sanding step can be lightly filled with WEST
epoxy and microballoons applied with a squeegee.

10. Sand again, sanding most of the filler off.

11. Repeat 9 and 10 until you are happy with the smoothness. I only needed
two applications of filler. All sanding was done by hand, starting with 60
grit. I found the latex paint compatible sandpaper (the green stuff) from
the hardware store to be the least likely to clog. When you are all done,
there should only be patches of filler left, not a complete layer of filler.

12. Pull the tape off that is holding the edge of the original single layer
molding down. A sideways motion works here since the tape edge is now
laminated between the original 4 oz layer and the later two 9 oz layers.

13. Trim the edges of the part to final dimensions .. usually this should
be just inside the tape location of step 4.

14. Remove all tape from step 3 that was providing a masking function.

14. Re-install fairing and drill for the #8 mounting screws.

This technique has been used on at least 4 local RV6s, and with the
WEST epoxy will give a much more stable molding than the original kit one.
It will also fit your plane EXACTLY. Other materials may work, but those
listed above definitely work and are easy to use. It was clean enough with
the WEST epoxy mini-pumps I found I could laminate a layer of cloth in my
regular clothes without a mess.

... hope this helps ...

... Gil (epoxy ain't that bad) Alexander

--------- end old post ---------

gil in Tucson

Note only needed if your part is a bad fit.... :(

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info, finished fitting the fairing yesterday. Used the canopy cutter to cut it. I used the screw locations as per Vans Plans. It came out OK, only 1 bulge between 2 screws, that I fixed with one extra screw between the recommended locations. The leading edge tip rounding portion on the HS could be better, it stands of by +/- 1/16 inch max, but it is good enough for me at the moment, the rest of the fairing fits flush. On with the build.

How did your fairing fit??
Now I have to order tinnerman washers from Spruce...Stainless or normal??

Now I see why almost everyone building a metal plane 'hates' fiberglass work.

rv_tail_06.jpg

Regards
Rudi

Last edited:
I too had a few bulges. I put a layer of packing tape on my fin and HS and mixed up some epoxy and flox. Smeared it inside my fairing and installed. Once it was set up I removed the fairing and sanded it smooth on the outside. No more bulges and a totally custom fit!

-Jeff

Yes this works great.

I hate bulges and it would look bad with a nice paint job. You can loose the pretecting tape and simply rub some mold release wax (or any other wax for that matter) directly on the metal. Then apply the epoxy and flox mix to the fiberglass (rough it up first).

Works great and looks perfect.

Frank

Problem with using the wax directly on the aluminum is its kinda hard to make sure you got it all completely off before paint. Especially around all the rivets on the VS. I make it a rule not to use anything such as silicone RTV or waxes anywhere near where I plan to apply paint later.

-Jeff

Fairing

Hi Rudi,

Consider the tail fairing from Fairings etc... There is a little work but you don't have all the screws to worry about, puckering, cracks etc. I'll put up a couple of photos of mine later today.

Release wax???

RV_7A said:
Problem with using the wax directly on the aluminum is its kinda hard to make sure you got it all completely off before paint. Especially around all the rivets on the VS. I make it a rule not to use anything such as silicone RTV or waxes anywhere near where I plan to apply paint later.

-Jeff

Mine came off really easily with laquer thinner. No paint adhesion problems.

Frank
7a

Plastic Tape

frankh said:
Mine came off really easily with laquer thinner. No paint adhesion problems.

Frank
7a

Yes... but one layer of plastic tape is about 0.006 inches thick.... about the thickness of two layers of final paint.

It won't be noticeable, and then there is no risk of surface contamination.

gil in Tucson