rdt7

Patron
I'm working on my rudder, elevator and HS fairings. I'm wondering what the finished condition of these needs to be. Should I sand them smooth and prime them so they're ready for painting? Or will a paint shop do that? Just wondering how much trouble I need to go to.

From what I have seen, depends on the paint shop and what they will do. I’m holding off, as primer has to be compatible and I haven’t picked a paint shop.

Ask your chosen paint shop. Many will simply sand off all of your carefully applied primer. Others seem not to. But you'll probably want your parts sealed to the elements for test flights, so a basic coat of primer is nice.

Ask your chosen paint shop. Many will simply sand off all of your carefully applied primer. Others seem not to. But you'll probably want your parts sealed to the elements for test flights, so a basic coat of primer is nice.
Good advice. I'll prime at least for protection for test flights.

If they don't care you have primed and just take your word you properly prepared the substrate suggest finding another painter. A good paint shop will remove your primer to insure it was properly put down on a scuffed and dull surface. There's a paint shop that advertises on VAF, perhaps they will comment?