N941WR

Legacy Member
This weekend I fitted the Van's empanage fairing and it fit great!

From everything I have read this is not normal and I'm wondering if it is because of how I fitted the thing.

Here is what I did.

When examining the fairing I realized there was a small part line on the top where Van's took the original fairing and added around 1/2" to it. I could even see where the original was cut to fit around the elevator torque tubes.

I marked these lines with my Sharpie and trimmed the thing along those lines and low and behold, it fit just great.

The question is, is this normal or did I just get lucky?

(I'll post pictures on my web site later.)

On my -8,the fairing fit pretty well out of the box. I had to do just a little bit of "liquid shimming" with epoxy/micro in a few spots - oh, and I added fiberglass fairings under the horizontal tail as well. But overall, not a bad fit. Same was true of all my fiberglass pieces, actually.

(Your mileage may very wildly!!)

Paul

Mine fit reasonably well too. I noticed the same (faint) lines and used them in some areas of the fairing as well.

Yeah - it sounds like these fairings must have gotten better over the years. My emp fairing fit nearly perfectly.

If only the cowl fit so well...

Thanks for the replies. It is good to know I'm not going crazy.

Here is a picture of it clecoed in place:

FYI - Jeff Bordelon had a great idea for the inspection panel in the tail cone and he was kind enough to help me with sizing mine. I'm just bummed I spent so much time getting the above mentioned fiberglass piece to fit only to cut the aft end of it off.