miyu1975

Well Known Member
What you consider a fair price on a Hartzell prop with 0 since oh, but it has the 100hr AD? Also, does anyone know the cost of the EDDY inspection?....begs the questions, is the AD required in experimental market.

Reason I ask is I have a friend who had overhauled his hartzell prop and then the AD came out...he bounght another prop at that time. He still has the prop in his hanger. We haven't talked price....I am just trying to get a ballpark idea on this...thx as usual

Hartzell a.d.

Ryan,
On my c172, the last one I had was 250 bucks iirc. Hardest part is often the logistics, not the test itself. Having the old style hub on a certified aircraft I found to be a pita.

I have a new style hub now, and the old hub in a parts bin. However, on an exp., I'd trust a older style hub if I knew it had a good history. Unfortunately, history can be hard to determine. But, you could ask for an IRAN, have them do careful NDT while it's apart. If it looked good, happily fly behind it, watch for grease, keep a close eye on it and just fly it.

For me, there are maybe too many variables that have some price effect, but generally, I'd be ok with a final cost of maybe one half of new. If it was going to be more than that, maybe not.

AD is not required on experimental. OH and an EDDY current should make you feel safe. Just FYI on that particular AD. There was a twin that had a prop strike that did NOT do anything other than straighten blades. The cracked hub eventually failed. There were also reports from some prop shops on a few hub with minor cracks that owners brought in due to leaks. Other than the twin, there was never a catastrophic failure. Hartzell strongly supported the AD as they stood to make a bundle off it (and did). Most folks went for new props as many prop shops would not do the eddy current test unless the prop had a fairly recent OH. This affected over 10,000 props. On price--he's limited to homebuilts for sale only which should lower value some.

Last edited: