BruceP

Well Known Member
So my new O-320 ordered from Van will be here in about 3 weeks. I'm talking to a guy the other day who said I made a big mistake because my engine will not come from Lycoming broken in and unless I send it somewhere for break in on a test stand for at least 5 hours that I will be doing a top overhaul in 250 hours or so because the rings will not seat otherwise. Did a forum search and didn't get a sense either way of whether what this guy said is true or not. This is not something I anticipated having to deal with prior to first flight and first hours. I assumed that I would be able to break in the engine well enough during the first several hours of flight. What are your thoughts?

Break in

Lycoming has a Service Bulletin or letter that describes a procedure for break in. The first few minutes of run are discribes by RPM and time in minutes. I advise all my clients to call Lycoming with you engine serial number in hand, and get a (free?) copy of Key Reprints. It touches on all these subjects.
I have personally broken in at least two lycomings. One of them was working doing mountian flying, so I had him burn up some gas for a few hours below 8000 feet to maintain the high power nessecary for proper ring seating.
I don't see an issue as long as you are properly informed.

My engine from Van's, was run on a Lycoming test stand for over two hours. Finish breaking yours in, using the described methods, and you'll be just fine, like many thousands of others. Who ever you talked to, isn't really all that informed on the subject.

L.Adamson

Lycoming has a Service Bulletin or letter that describes a procedure for break in. ....
Service Instruction No. 1427C: http://www.lycoming.textron.com/support/publications/service-instructions/pdfs/SI1427C.pdf

Had new engine from Vans...
Followed instructions....
Start.... Takeoff ... Fly 1 hour 75% power + ... land ...
Inspect aircraft ....
Repeat: Start.... Takeoff ... Fly 1 hour 75% power + ... land ...

At 150 hours .... Burns ~1Qt in 15-25 hours depending on RPM...

I'm talking to a guy the other day who said I made a big mistake because ______

One think we learned building an aircraft:
Everyone is an expert...:rolleyes:
Some of them actually know something...;)

Last edited:
Hello Bruce,

My Van’s Lycoming XO-360 was test run at the factory for a little over an hour to certify various parameters. The engine came with documentation certifying each item and run time, I expect yours will too. I’ll follow Lycoming instructions for break in when the time comes (not flying yet).

Here is some info on care and feeding of your new Lycoming, including break in….
http://www.lycoming.textron.com/supp...ng/videos.html
http://www.lycoming.textron.com/support/training/videos.html

You might give the folks at Lycoming a call for further info…. Try OEM Sales Marolous “Willie” Cebulka 570-327-7181 or Lisa Deinlein 570.327.7049. They’ll get you what you need, and can give you e-mail notification with tracking number when you engine ships. Exciting time in the build when the new Lycoming arrives !

pk

Last edited:
Lycoming's break-in instructions can be a bit confusing, because the instructions seem to be for a zero-time engine when in fact you are getting a 2-hour engine.

I still ran mine as if it was zero-time for the first hour that I owned it (flat out). But that was on a certified airplane.

Bruce,

I bought my factory IO-320 from Vans. It was shipped to me from the Lycoming factory. It came with the factory test log showing RPM, temperatures, presures, fuel flow, air flow, etc. The engine was runin for a total of about one hour on a test stand. High and low limits were included in the log data as a reference.

Information included in the Lycoming Operator's Manual (included with the engine) says no further break-in is necessary insofar as operationis concerned; however, new engines should be operated on mineral oil for a minimum of 50 hours or until oil consumption is stabilized. Cruising should be done at 65% to 75% power until a total of 50 hours has accumulated or oil consumption has stabilized.

I followed these instructions. The engine has about 70 hours on it now. It appears to have only used about 1/4 quart of oil in the last 15 hours of operation. The engine runs great.

As a minimum, read and understand the Lycoming Service Instructions available on the Textron Lycoming web site for removal of preservative oil (1472), engine break-in (1427), and fuel leaning (1094). These service instructions were included with my engine paperwork. Other execellent information has been pointed out in the previous posts.
Follow the Lycoming instructions and the engine break-in will be fine.

Thanks everybody for replies and the great advice. I knew I could count on the VAF community to help me out!