GLPalinkas

Well Known Member
I just finished up my annual condition inspection and wanted to alert VAF members of a potential (at least in my view) problem with the Facet fuel pumps. I installed it in the -7 location, per -7 plans, as pictured in my -6. Installed probably 4 years ago (estimate without checking) Time in service 130 hrs.

When I inspected the fuel system I found what looks like blue goo (Like in 100LL fuel) congealed on the bottom of the pump. Yes, I used too much fuel lube installing the fitting but I don't think it was leaking at the fitting. It looks like an internal leak of some sort.

I never smelled fuel in the cockpit and the pump worked (and probably still works) flawlessly. My fuel flow numbers were very good, when tested.

I, of course, replaced the pump with the same type but was tempted to go with a higher calibre (the round cartridge type). In the end went with the easiest solution, a drop in replacement.

Anyone else discover this problem?

2h2kpox.jpg

jzijcm.jpg

Last edited:
We just had to replace our original facet fuel pump as it just died after 130 hrs. The one thing we found when we installed the new one was not tightening the outlet side nut enough. We thought we had it tight but two showers of fuel said no. Good now. If you are inclined you could cap the outlet and pressurize the inlet with a bike pump.
Just thoughts.
Phelps

We just had to replace our original facet fuel pump as it just died after 130 hrs. The one thing we found when we installed the new one was not tightening the outlet side nut enough. We thought we had it tight but two showers of fuel said no. Good now. If you are inclined you could cap the outlet and pressurize the inlet with a bike pump.
Just thoughts.
Phelps

Thanks Kevin. I think I will investigate further and tear it down to take a look in the next day or so. Weather here is going downhill tonight anyway....:)