petehowell

Well Known Member
Hello,

Put in some 100LL today to do a fuel flow test. The facet pump chattered for about 30 seconds before it stopped for a second, restarted, stopped, restarted and then died for good..

I check the connections and have good power - I pulled the unit. Can they be blown out with air or anything. Failure after 30-45 seconds seems off.

No noise, no nothin' with power connected. Any Ideas?

I don't remember when or who, but a while back somebody posted on here about the connector at the end of the wire on the Facet pump just falling right off (improperly crimped). Might want to check this.

Connectors are good

I checked that - thanks for the tip. It judt seem sto be frozen. Frustrating that it failed with less than a minute on it - I'll see if there is any warranty, but at $40 it is aviation disposable.

While that thing is broke, could you perhaps try to pump some liquid through it to see if it will at least flow fuel when failed?

Those are **** anyway. Buy a decent pump. The cansiter shaped Facet ones work for decades, and are not that much more... ok they are more expensive, but I don't trust the little box Facet pumps.

Flows fine

Even if it does not pump - no obstruction. Hope my next one lasts longer than 45 seconds - has anyone found a Mfg website? I'd like to call them to see if they have seen this before.

Last edited:
My little box pump works fine 250 hours

Contact the organization you bought it from and they may replace it free. They can certainly give you a contact point. Believe me these manufacturers do not want to get a bad name.

Bob Axsom

Normal?????

Pete,
Does the pump stop working when there is a pressure build up to spec? I am not sure about the pump you are using, but many facet pumps will go dormant, when the pump's rated output pressure is reached. If that were the case with yours, it would sound like it's operation was normal, if you had a closed or obstructed outlet line attached to the pumps? outlet.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk.?

No obstruction

Hi Malon,

The pump is out of the plane and when connected to 12V, still dead. It looks to have failed electrically.

pumping

was it pumping fluid or dry ? the fuid for some electric pumps cools them. juat a thought. these pumps are very noisy untill pressure builds. ive seen them got forever>>

Could be trash

Pete,
I'm not sure how the pump works as I've never taken one apart. By the noise they make it must be a solenoid operating a piston or plunger. My first guess would be it sucked in some trash and is now hung up.

Take it apart and let us know what it was ! :D

Mark

It pumped about a half gallon

Before it quit - was not run dry before that other than to verify it was connected(on for a second or so)

No Trash

Clean inside - but no noise, buzz, nothing when hooked up. Looks like an electrical failure.

Just spoke with factory

Very helpful - not crazy it is going in a plane - but told me how to take apart and check for stuff. If it is an electrical failure it is not repairable.

Airplane use

Bob Axsom said:
Contact the organization you bought it from and they may replace it free. They can certainly give you a contact point. Believe me these manufacturers do not want to get a bad name.

Bob Axsom

If you do what Bob says.. don't tell them it went in an aeroplane....

I remember the instructions that came in the box with mine specifically said not for aircraft use..... :)

gil in Tucson

These pumps have a solenoid plunger that pulses a rubber nipple & a checkvalve to control flow direction. Some times a new pump required "Blunt Force Trauma" (Hit it with a hammer 'til it starts buzzing) to get it working. Some of the sealant gummed up the plunger. The rubber nipple is replaceable if you can find the part. This was in a previous life when I repaired printing equipment.

Derrell
7A Finish
Alpharetta, GA

Replacement Facet Pump

Has anybody used a cylindrical Interrupter type pump on an RV as a replacement for the box Facet (40108) that Van's recommends? An example is the 478360 sold by Spruce, with similar flow rate, pressure, current draw, and lack of an anti-siphoning valve. My Grand Rapids fuel flow monitor reads 50% high when the Facet pump is turned on, presumably because the pump pressure pulses go all the way through the gascolator and to the flow monitor. I am wondering if an Interrupter-type pump would be quieter and thereby produce less pressure surge to disturb the flow monitor.

Here is the Facet website

http://www.facet-purolator.com/solidstate.asp

I used two of the solid state cube pumps for 400 hours on my Zodiac and they ran great (no mechanical fuel pump, low wing airplane) . I seem to remember that you can buy them in your local autoparts store for like $32.

Be careful to get exactly the right model...Its stamped on the base...The 105 pump for example looks exactly the same as the 106 but the pressure outputs are different.

The webpage gives you the complete list.

As others have said, even if you do get it working its so cheap it ain't worth risking on an airplane.

Cheers

Frank

Poor Pump

osxuser said:
Those are **** anyway. Buy a decent pump. The cansiter shaped Facet ones work for decades, and are not that much more... ok they are more expensive, but I don't trust the little box Facet pumps.

That pump has not been very reliable. Most people I fly with have switched to the canister style which is about $80

Pat

New pump installed and works Great

I still think 45 sec is a short MTBF ... OK sample size is one, but it was MINE!!!

These Facet pumps have been used as transfer pumps in Lancairs for 13 years with great success. Original fuel systems use them to transfer fuel from the wings to a header tank. Those without header tanks use them to transfer directly to the engine as a back up pump. Before installing mine 10 years ago I took one apart. They cannot be completely disassembled because some parts are crimped in permanently. The steel plunger and one of the check valves is visible inside the brass sleeve. The second check valve resides outside this assembly.
Chris
100_2089small.JPG