Pbr47906

Well Known Member
Well my first attempt a fabbing the brake lines ended miserably. I was attempting to make the lower curve by bending the portion that passes over the top of the leg and then starts the larger curve. I started with a tube bender and after no success started using the spring bender again with no success. I'm also thing about using plastic high pressure tubing but I can find the adapters to make the connection to the metal brake lines.

Paul B. Ruley

Paul---3003 tubing that Van's supplies in our kits is VERY flexible and workable. Yep it takes some practice in flaring and bending, but certainly doable.
Teflon hoses are an option, as well as the nylon hose like the pedal lines. Think about the situation, and what you want to do.
Tom

Kudos, Tom, for offering the above advice to Paul.

Paul, one quick call to Tom at TS Flightlines will take care of all your brake line troubles. He'll fab up the finest stainless-braided Teflon aircraft-grade hoses you'll find anywhere and you'll be ready to just plug-n-play. He knows all the right lengths too. There's simply none better!

Paul and Kurt,
There are thousands of the 9000+ Rv's flying with nylon pedal hoses, and aluminum gear lines, even some with nylon gear lines. We arent building Gulfstreams here, so the teflon hose option my seem overkill for alot of applications. (Just because I build teflon assemblies doesnt mean I dont see the dark side). There are some advantages to all, and some disadvantages as well. Properly formed and fitted aluminum tubing will last a long time, provided its taken care of. Same with nylon hose, even though I'm not fond of it for gear legs. Same can be said for teflon hose. More expensive, especially with Stainless hose ends, but with proper installation will generally last the life of the airframe.
Tom

Thanks for the advice.

Thanks everyone. I have order some new tubing and will give it one more try. I'm still trying to understand the reason for such as large swooping bend wrt to projected gear movement of the leg. It does seem excessive unless Vans is trying not to cold-work the material.

One more try and I will let you know the results.

Ruley
N277PM
Lafayette, IN

A tool that I found very helpful for bending the small aluminum tubes is a bender sold at most auto stores. It is for bending steel auto brake lines. I do not know the proper name but the one I have is about 5 inches long with a round thing and a hook on the end of it. Auto brake line are smaller but it still works.

Thanks everyone. I have order some new tubing and will give it one more try. I'm still trying to understand the reason for such as large swooping bend wrt to projected gear movement of the leg. It does seem excessive unless Vans is trying not to cold-work the material.

One more try and I will let you know the results.

Ruley
N277PM
Lafayette, IN

The sweeping curve is also there so that any side loads on the brake caliper are very light.

The caliper need to slide freely during braking.