Joker

My 8 has an Airflow Performance fuel injection system. The filter airbox attaches with a machined clamp to the vertical throttle body thoat. I believe other setups use the same clamp. While installing a new fab, it occurred to me to safety the airbox to the engine. If you have a similar setup, you might consider the same.

Please don't ask how I came to this thinking, but I fantasize a farmer in the middle of his bean field wondering just what the heck is that thang. ;)

Joker

Can you elaborate on the safetying the airbox?? I know it applies to the bolts used on the "stock" throat plate to airbox, but are we talking about the bolts that hold the AFP plate to the Vans top plate on the airbox? There are six screws and they go through locking nutplates, Don't get me wrong, I safety wired all my hose clamps so I'm not adverse to safety wiring bolts etc. But for all of these to fail, and back out seems very unlikley..but I'm sure I'll replace them with -A bolts and make even more neato looking safety wire job in that area. Especially now that I have admited my own constructive negligence, hence forth ladies and gentleman of the jury..... I don't know how you would do the inlet clamp other than locktite like AFP says to do. Heck even with the set screw backed off it's a bear to slide the collar off the inlet.

Last edited:
Rick--
I'm talking about safetying the airbox itself to the engine. I agree the clamp holds very well, almost 1000 hours in my case, until it didn't. I'm told by Airflow Performance that I'm not the first, although this isn't a common occurrence.

I drilled 2 #40 holes in the flange on top of the FAB, then saftied to brackets on the engine. Not very elegant, I admit, but should work.

Joker

Ahhh...OK, so in the event the ring comes off the throat, it will fall into the center of the airfilter and the safety wire will keep the FAB inplace. I imagine you knew right away when yours came off!:eek: What do you plan for an inspection interval or did you have it on your 100 hour inspection checklist?...I now have a reason to see AFP at OSH other than to say hello!! :DI was concerned about that collar coming off until the first time I tried to slide it off after backing the retaining screw...I contemplated drilling up through the collar and into the backing plate to add a pair of 8-32 screws and retaining nut but the collar seems to be shaped for smooth airflow and didn't want to alter the shape with two holes...What about installing a longer retaining screw and putting a cotter pin in the end?

I am about to convert from carb to AFP and would really appreciate anyone that has any pics to either post them or email them to me so I can get an idea what all this will look like. If anyone has any suggestions or parts list or any other thoughts or suggestions I would be very appreciative of that info.

BTW I was hoping to buy the AFP at OSH (with a discount of course) but Don said they will not be there.

email: [email protected]