JimWoo50

Well Known Member
If I rivet the fiberglass bowl to the top plate how do I get the filter element out for servicing since it is sandwiched between the two? I don't relish the thought of loosening the bolts which hold the retaining clips through the mount plate to the top plate and dropping the whole assembly since it would seem to be a huge pita to reinstall on the mount plate. Especially being that the retaining clips would not stay in position and would have to be realigned prior to reinstalling the filter element. Seems like I'm either missing something or there has to be an easier way. Thanks.

Which engine and fuel system do you have?

With the O-320 carb there is a plate that bolts to bottom of the carb. The filter then bolts to that. Finally the FAB slips over the filter and is held in place with AN-3 bolts that goes through the plate to platenuts on the FAB.

You can see some of the bolts in this picture.

With the O-360 carb, you rivet small sections of angle aluminum to the inside of the FAB to hold the filter in place. When you bolt the FAB to the carb plate, the tabs and bottom of the FAB hold the filter in place. Remove the FAB and lift the filter right out.

I'm not sure how this differs from an injected setup.

Injected 360 is basically the same. Plate on the bottom of injector body bolts onto the FAB with 6 bolts. Filter is held in place by a few small Al tabs. Remove the FAB and the filter is easily removable for cleaning or replacement.

greg

not sure

we have the same system. Unless I am missing something the only thing holding my filter element in place is being sandwiched between the mount plate and the fiberglass bowl. The only bolts are through the mount plate, top plate, and the retaining clips which have platenuts on them. There are extra holes further out toward the edge of the mount plate but putting bolts in them would duplicate the function of the bolts in the clips. I think. :confused:

thanks for the quick reply.

we have the same system. Unless I am missing something the only thing holding my filter element in place is being sandwiched between the mount plate and the fiberglass bowl. The only bolts are through the mount plate, top plate, and the retaining clips which have platenuts on them. There are extra holes further out toward the edge of the mount plate but putting bolts in them would duplicate the function of the bolts in the clips. I think. :confused:

Sounds like they may have changed the kit since I put my O-290 in my -9. Set up the same as the O-360 then. The AL tabs hold the filter in place and you squish the filter between the bottom of the FAB and carb plate.

If you riveted the FAB together without the filter in there, you might have a problem. With my new O-360, I lined everything up with the filter in the FAB, clamped it in place and then drilled the FAB to the flanges.

thanks for the help.

did not realize that the retaining clip and nutplate both get rivited to the top plate. Went out to the airport and got er done.