jsharkey

Well Known Member
Has anyone changed to disposable auto type filter elements instead of the K&N supplied with the FAB kit? If you have what make and p/n worked? Any reasons not to? - in direct line of prop wash etc

Also do you need to pre oil the K&N element before use - I seem to remember that it was already oiled but mine seems dry - could be age.

Finally I hope the old adage that if a design looks good it probably is good doesn't apply to the FAB because it has to be the klutsiest part of the RV:D

Jim Sharkey

I did find on my Rotax with the K&N that a little too much oil caused a restriction and caused all the plugs to foul. It now is running good and looking at the K&N filters they look like there is No oil on them. I'm leaving it. I figure if they go bad, I'll just replace them. I did find oil on the filter did cause the engine to run richer. Don't know if this helps.

I do know that when I started the engine for the first time on the RV it seemed like it was having a hard time wanting to run. Still does and it has an hour on it now. I was wondering if I shouldn't remove the K&N and clean it and either NOT put oil on it or put way less. It was pre oiled from the factory. I was wondering the same for an auto filter.

Has anyone changed to disposable auto type filter elements instead of the K&N supplied with the FAB kit? If you have what make and p/n worked? Any reasons not to? - in direct line of prop wash etc

Also do you need to pre oil the K&N element before use - I seem to remember that it was already oiled but mine seems dry - could be age.

Finally I hope the old adage that if a design looks good it probably is good doesn't apply to the FAB because it has to be the klutsiest part of the RV:D

Jim Sharkey

I've seen it done. I prefer the K&N just because... The FAB is pretty efficient for what it is, but it's definitely the achillies heal of the carbed RV. Every one I've worked on has had to be reworked in <500 since new. Usually the Carb Heat hinge goes first.

Part of the reason I like Fwd Facing FI on the RV's sooooo much.

I was originally going for the forward FI. But I wanted mufflers, you have to do the FAB. THe sound off the mufflers is Soooooo nice. Really don't need the big ol' head sets anymore.

I was originally going for the forward FI. But I wanted mufflers, you have to do the FAB. THe sound off the mufflers is Soooooo nice. Really don't need the big ol' head sets anymore.

If you are updraft injected, the filter isn't such a big deal from my understanding. Def don't have to worry about the carb ht, which is nice.

If your K&N filter...

I did find on my Rotax with the K&N that a little too much oil caused a restriction and caused all the plugs to foul. It now is running good and looking at the K&N filters they look like there is No oil on them. I'm leaving it. I figure if they go bad, I'll just replace them. I did find oil on the filter did cause the engine to run richer. Don't know if this helps.

I do know that when I started the engine for the first time on the RV it seemed like it was having a hard time wanting to run. Still does and it has an hour on it now. I was wondering if I shouldn't remove the K&N and clean it and either NOT put oil on it or put way less. It was pre oiled from the factory. I was wondering the same for an auto filter.

...was on a certified plane, it would be part of a Challenger STC - Challenger is essentially the aircraft department of K&N.

The STC cleaning instructions are here -

http://www.challengeraviation.com/Challenger Air Filter Cleaning Instructions 8-31-05.pdf

http://www.challengeraviation.com/Illustrated Air Filter Instructions.doc

My Tiger has this STC, a lot of $$$ for a 60's Dodge K&N filter with FAA-PMA stamped in the rubber moulding....:rolleyes:

...was on a certified plane, it would be part of a Challenger STC - Challenger is essentially the aircraft department of K&N.

The STC cleaning instructions are here -

http://www.challengeraviation.com/Challenger Air Filter Cleaning Instructions 8-31-05.pdf

http://www.challengeraviation.com/Illustrated Air Filter Instructions.doc

My Tiger has this STC, a lot of $$$ for a 60's Dodge K&N filter with FAA-PMA stamped in the rubber moulding....:rolleyes:

Gil,
Those are the same type of instructions from K&N. My kitfox filters where not oiled when I got them. I added a small amount of oil to each filter, as per the amount they sent with the filters. I installed, the engine flooded. I removed the filters and cleaned, this time I used less oil, just a drop on each pleat. Cleaned the plugs and tried again. Now it works fine. My logic tells me that oil on a filter will restrict flow. It did on these filters. I now have 80 hrs on the filters and they are running fine and the color red is going away. I'm thinking leave them alone. I don't know if you are aware, but the rotax 912 is very sensitive to extra fuel, if so, it will flood very easily.

When I put the filter in the RV fab, it was very red, preoiled. Wondering if I should remove it, clean it, and put less oil on it.