Thank God and it's about time. This will improve safety and utilization of so much wasted airspace. Seems most the time when I've tried calling to check if the MOA's are hot all they can do is read to ops hours which I already have.

Aren't these already posted in the upper data-block on most charts? LA section lists them all under Special Use Airspace, by where it says "controlling agency"

Does it have a frequency listed or just list the controlling agency? If it doesn't have the freq. then it is just a pain to figure out what frequency for whatever the controlling agency is. Plus, if it's on the actual chart, it will make it way easier than flipping through and trying to find those special use airspace flap and then finding the particular restricted airspace number.

Last edited:
from the article:

"Some contact frequencies will be printed adjacent to the special-use airspace on the sectional chart, while others will appear on the side tab of the chart or along the bottom in the special-use airspace table."

Good Luck!

During my years as a freight dog, My "non-scheduled"; daily flights were near MOA's in the KY, TN, IN, & OH areas. Even when they were NON active according to the controller, AND I was OUTSIDE the MOA "box" on the sectional, I have had 2 near misses with F-16's. Both within 7 months. No matter what anyone says on any freq. KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN!

Just my 2 cents.....

While we're on the topic....

Where does one look to find "center" frequencies? The Jacksonville sectional (Northern half of Florida and then some) lists controlling agencies for some of the MOA and restricted airspace in Florida as "Jacksonville Center," and heck if I can't find that freq. anywhere. I found an article on AOPA's website that mentioned center frequencies are only found on approach plates. If true, this seems to leave the VFR pilot (me) in the dark (dark/clouds/soup...pick your pun.) I can usually pick up flight following, so this hasn't been a problem, but I'd still like to know. My contingency plan is to simply call the controlling center's approach frequency and hope for the best (read: play dumb.) If anything, I figure that they can give me the right freq, but I'd hate to do such a thing....just not as much as I'd hate to fly in to a "hot" MOA.