rzbill

Well Known Member
I want to preface this question with the understanding that if the thread degenerates to politics it should be removed. Politics leading to the current situation and finger pointing are NOT what I am after.

On to the issue:
As I am nearing my move to the airport it is obvious that I need to start the registration process. I am concerned that the current FAA shutdown, if extended for considerable time, will affect my ability to obtain authorization to enter Phase 1.

First- Request: From the DARs in the group, is there any leeway or activities that I can do to move forward if you do not receive the appropriate paperwork from me through the FAA prior to craft visit? I assume no, but please speak.

Second - Hypothetical question - If the FAA does not operate, or in some sense does not exist, do I need their approval?

Again, I am not interested in commentary how we got here. I already know that and its an endless debate for some other forum.

I can wait much longer for all the hypothetical answers to your 2nd hypothethical question........

Question 1: Call the office in Oklahoma City to see if there is any impact. Do not put off required paperwork.

Question 2: Do not fly until you meet all the requirements.

I have put in an e-mail to my FSDO manager, but I don't expect a definitive answer. After all, this is the government, and as a rule, typically no one knows until it happens.

It is my assumption (I know) that DARs will be able to continue without interruption. However, we still need registration and the local FSDO for processing.

Right now I'm concerned about my DAR seminar scheduled and paid for later this month in Oklahoma City.

Last edited:
Just heard back from my FSDO supervisor. He stated that the FSDO will be here since they are "safety sensitive". (They do accident investigations and other safety inspections)

Not sure about registration.

If you don't have that registration, you might want to get on it.

Question 1: Call the office in Oklahoma City to see if there is any impact. Do not put off required paperwork.

Yep sure, I'll call to see. I don't think I am last minute. I am assuming 4-5 months from today. Hope thats not last minute.

*UPDATE* - I called (and why didn't I go to the restroom first so I didn't have to wait on-hold cross legged?)

The answer from the registrations branch is that they are funded from a different source and not affected by the budget wrangling.
They will remain open. Yay!

Thanks Mel and Ron.

Last edited:
Bill,

I wouldn't expect the furlough to last much longer than a week or 2 from now. That being said, there will probably be a bit of a backlog depending on your area. I like the above suggestions to keep on pressing on. No matter what happens, you have done your part and will get things done as quickly as possible given the climate.