Greg Arehart

Well Known Member
Just thought I would put out there that the FAA seems to be on top of registration stuff. I sent in my forms about two weeks ago after reading and hearing of possible 90-120 days to get registration documents back. Well, they arrived today, so it appears that there is little to no registration backlog. If only my building was keeping up with that pace....

greg

AOPA Service

Just thought I would put out there that the FAA seems to be on top of registration stuff. I sent in my forms about two weeks ago after reading and hearing of possible 90-120 days to get registration documents back. Well, they arrived today, so it appears that there is little to no registration backlog. If only my building was keeping up with that pace....

greg

...and this week an airpark neighbor had his paperwork done in one day (plus FedEx overnight shipping) by the AOPA folks.

If you are really in a hurry, it seems like the $125 would be worth it.

gil A - temporary reduced to dial-up....:mad:

Should I do it now?

I would like to go ahead and register my RV-9 now as I have all the major sub kits bought and the engine. I am probably still 12 months away from being completely finished and ready for a DAR. My reason for doing this is to get some of the paperwork behind me and get the Arkansas sales tax paid now rather than later. Is there any reason not to register it now?

I would like to go ahead and register my RV-9 now as I have all the major sub kits bought and the engine. I am probably still 12 months away from being completely finished and ready for a DAR. My reason for doing this is to get some of the paperwork behind me and get the Arkansas sales tax paid now rather than later. Is there any reason not to register it now?

Jim,

Why, oh why, would you want to give the State your money before you owe it?

:confused:

As Bret hinted above...as soon as you register your (still uncompleted) airplane, it will show up on the national database as an airplane owned by you. Many states audit this database regularly and then immediately start the process to tax you in what ever manner(s) that particular state does so.

Aircraft registration

I reserved my N-number and then got it a few months before I had my plane completed. I paid sales tax on each kit when I filed my state income tax at the end of the year. Tail one year, wings another year etc....

When you get your aircraft inspected and the airworthiness cert. for it the state will send you the proper paperwork to start collecting property tax each year, at least in Kentucky that is how it works.

Here is a link with info you'll need and a link to reserve your N-number.
http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/aircraft_certification/aircraft_registry/