az_gila

Well Known Member
Guys,

I sent a draft copy of my Program Letter to the local MIDO office and got an inspector assigned to my plane.

In the letter I asked for a 100 nm radius - excluding PHX Class B and Mexican Airspace - as a Phase I test area.

This is a snippet of the email I received from the inspector.

...Most of the information looks good. I have a concern regarding the reason for the 100 nm radius for the Phase I test area. Is there a specific reason for this, or can you reduce this to 50 nm radius. Please let me know. Based on your answer, the program letter and appendices may need to be revised...

What have others done? And any good specific reasons to give her?

I will have to carefully review the extra area I requested, but I think it allows for use of other airports that are higher and lower to carry out landing/take-off testing at a larger spread of Density Altitudes.

Expected cruise speed might also be applicable, but I'm not sure how to state that..

Has anyone else had their requested area reduced?

She has given me her phone number and offered to discuss it today.

I have an Experimental FP Sensenich prop so I expect a 40 hr test period.

Size of test area is dependant on aircraft speeds.

Typically for RVs other than the -12, I give a 75 NM radius. I will also offer a couple of airports up to 100 NM if you need to get to an airport for paint, transponder cert, etc. My office gives me pretty good freedom as long as I keep it reasonable.
Also remember that the radius does not necessarily have to be centered on your home airport, as long as it is within the area.

Typically for RVs other than the -12, I give a 75 NM radius. I will also offer a couple of airports up to 100 NM if you need to get to an airport for paint, transponder cert, etc. My office gives me pretty good freedom as long as I keep it reasonable.
Also remember that the radius does not necessarily have to be centered on your home airport, as long as it is within the area.

Never thought of that before, "not centered at home airport" my particular concern coming up is going to be able to test for climb and fuel burn #s from a lower altitude. we are near 5K elevation. Do we ask for this in the program letter?

Thanks Mel, that makes sense.

Is there any FAA reference I can quote that would cover RV-6A speeds?

Never thought of that before, "not centered at home airport" my particular concern coming up is going to be able to test for climb and fuel burn #s from a lower altitude. we are near 5K elevation. Do we ask for this in the program letter?

Sure, you can ask for anything. Just try to keep it reasonable and give a reason for your request.
I often give a radius centered on an airport other than the home airport because we are so close to DFW Class B Airspace.

Not really. Just common sense.

One reason might be that it adds an airport at 799 ft MSL and one at 5153 ft MSL.

Home field is 2940 ft MSL.

With the Dynon Skyview data logging good measurements can be made of landing/take off performance at differing DA.

With 50 nm radius the airports are much fewer and limited between 4011 ft MSL and 1464 ft MSL.

Is that a good reason?

One reason might be that it adds an airport at 799 ft MSL and one at 5153 ft MSL.
Home field is 2940 ft MSL.
With the Dynon Skyview data logging good measurements can be made of landing/take off performance at differing DA.
With 50 nm radius the airports are much fewer and limited between 4011 ft MSL and 1464 ft MSL.
Is that a good reason?

Sounds reasonable to me. Her response doesn't sound negative to me. She's just wanting a reason for your request. Most ASIs that I work with are very reasonable if you just explain your reasoning.

Legs

The guy I used up in the Phx area is very familiar with RV's. The area I had was smaller. He increased it so I could get some distance for breaking in the engine. Also included 3 airports with restaurants.

Mine was Buckeye, Gila Bend, Ryan, Coolidge, Gateway and home. And, obviously everything in between. You should be able to get close to the same. Buckeye would give you a pretty nice straight run.

Sounds like you're getting close. Congrats!!

The guy I used up in the Phx area is very familiar with RV's. The area I had was smaller. He increased it so I could get some distance for breaking in the engine. Also included 3 airports with restaurants.

Mine was Buckeye, Gila Bend, Ryan, Coolidge, Gateway and home. And, obviously everything in between. You should be able to get close to the same. Buckeye would give you a pretty nice straight run.

Sounds like you're getting close. Congrats!!

Did he give you a radius or a "box" bounded by those airports.

Yep... very close, but recently held up by the passing of a BIL and the present visit of a nephew...

I have not done this yet, but was involved in one and had a chance to talk with the director for my region. It seems the key words are engine break-in and cruise speed. That means you must maintain an airspeed, and will get from one side to the other in short order. You might have a number for what legs a box in the radius would be in minutes. A box allowing some margin at the corners to stay within the "zone". My director whinced at 100nm with ORD so close, but nodded at 75nm.

Last edited:
Done

Sounds reasonable to me. Her response doesn't sound negative to me. She's just wanting a reason for your request. Most ASIs that I work with are very reasonable if you just explain your reasoning.

Mel, you were dead on...:)

I phoned her and mentioned break-in, airport altitudes and testing, in particular Gila Bend at 799 ft MSL.

Apparently this will be her first homebuilt inspection so she went off and talked with others in the MIDO.

A short while later she called back and said all is OK. No problem with my request for 100 nm radius and an exclusion of PHX Class B and Mexico.

I also offered her a Tiger trip from Scottsdale to our airport and return. She thought that was nice but apparently not allowed...:)

Mel, you were dead on...:)
I phoned her and mentioned break-in, airport altitudes and testing, in particular Gila Bend at 799 ft MSL.
Apparently this will be her first homebuilt inspection so she went off and talked with others in the MIDO.
A short while later she called back and said all is OK. No problem with my request for 100 nm radius and an exclusion of PHX Class B and Mexico.
I also offered her a Tiger trip from Scottsdale to our airport and return. She thought that was nice but apparently not allowed...:)

Great. Glad it worked out. Bill is in the mail!