N941WR

Legacy Member
This evening on the flight back from DC (US Air 1733) I boarded, sat down, and turned off my cell phone. Sitting in 16C was a gentleman wearing an FAA ID badge who was playing with a very nice cell phone-PDA device. Like most passengers he holstered it after the last person was buckled in. Unlike most passengers, he never turned his phone off. I know this because just as the plane rotated his phone rang. He didn?t answer but neither did he turn off the phone.

An hour later as the flight attendants ?prepared the cabin for arrival they gave the normal call to ?turn off all electronic devices??. Now I?m watching this guy to see what he does. Sure enough, he is playing with his phone all during the approach (IFR in some bumpy weather.) and landing.

This is the 2nd time I have seen an FAA person leave their phone on for the duration of the flight.

Isn?t this breaking their own regulations? Should he know better? Could he get in trouble or have they become like cops? As long as you have a badge you can speed all you like.

Can't turn off my phone

I can't turn off my phone (Verizon xv-6700) without taking the battery out. I put it in "flight mode" and stick in my carry-on.

I was going to make a few comments however; I decided to keep my mouth shut. My dad works for the FAA and he is one of those by the book guys. Lets not start generalizing people.

N941WR said:
Could he get in trouble or have they become like cops? As long as you have a badge you can speed all you like.

Hey, Bill, even though you must be a good guy for building a -9, I have to agree with AX-O. Lets not generalize. I am a retired police officer/pilot with a badge in my pocket. I don't think it gives me permission to speed, nor do I. Oh, wait, did I just generalize that you must be a good guy???
:D :D :D

Wanna doughnut?

Come on Glenn, that was a cheap shot. Bill's a great guy. After all, he's not the one riding tricycles. And speeding, give me a break! I nearly get run over every morning by cops speeding to get to court because they wait too late to get to work on time, like the rest of us. I can tell the brand of paint on the hood and the brand of headlights, because they get so close and I'm speeding to get out of the way!

Uh Oh, I generalized several times.

Remember, anything can be turned around.
:D :D :D :D :D

Last edited:
The FAA must follow the rules

N941WR said:
This evening on the flight back from DC (US Air 1733) I boarded, sat down, and turned off my cell phone. Sitting in 16C was a gentleman wearing an FAA ID badge who was playing with a very nice cell phone-PDA device. Like most passengers he holstered it after the last person was buckled in. Unlike most passengers, he never turned his phone off. I know this because just as the plane rotated his phone rang. He didn?t answer but neither did he turn off the phone.

An hour later as the flight attendants ?prepared the cabin for arrival they gave the normal call to ?turn off all electronic devices??. Now I?m watching this guy to see what he does. Sure enough, he is playing with his phone all during the approach (IFR in some bumpy weather.) and landing.

This is the 2nd time I have seen an FAA person leave their phone on for the duration of the flight.

Isn?t this breaking their own regulations? Should he know better? Could he get in trouble or have they become like cops? As long as you have a badge you can speed all you like.
Bill nicely written and well thought out. Yes we all should follow the rules, and the FAA is not exempt. I can tell you, FAA being people, individuals they don't always follow the rules, and they need to be called on it. I have had FAA in my jump seat and had to correct them. If I don't I'm breaking the law by allowing it. What to do as a passenger?

I would have politely addressed him directly or alerted the cabin crew. This happens to me all the time sitting in the back in uniform or not. I see passengers doing all kind of things. Most of the time I let it go. The airline however has to maintain the rules or be fined. I'm sure if you pointed it out to the senior FA (one on the last day of a 4 day trip), I bet he would never do that again.

There's that part in the PA about YOU MUST FOLLOW ALL CREW MEMBER INSTRUCTIONS AND FEDERAL LAW. Regardless if the cell phone is a FCC thing or FAA thing, on a part 121 aircraft its a federal law. He was in the wrong. Now most of the time sitting in the back I will not say or do anything, but IFR on approach? I don't care if he was actually talking or not. My guess is he was playing a game, nothing to do with national security. If a passenger does not comply on my plane, and we're on the ground, given multiple chances to correct and they don't, they're thrown off, done deal. People do not realize when on an airliner, you give up some rights, in the interest of public safety, basically the safety of 200 odd strangers in an aluminum tube 6 miles up.

I am not sure how you knew he was with the FAA or traveling on business or for pleasure. Regardless it does not really matter. The FAA have a greater responsibility than the general public. You can always talk to the lead FA or ask to talk to the captain after the flight. Let them decide. They can disregard it or file a report to the company. The management pilots will see it may take action. It may not be punitive. It could be as simple as the FAA reminding their personal follow the rules. You could still call or write the airline or FAA.

In your case IFR approach, I'd say something. If it was day VFR I might not be as concerned, but this guy was pretty blatant. There is always a struggle to decide to say something or not. We don't want to get anyone in trouble. I would have loved it if you would have told him he was in vilotation of federal law and must turn the PDA/phone off.

Since 9/11 the passengers are part of the (safety) picture. The FA's are strapped in and can't police the cabin on departure or approach. I have seen people get up and start unloading the overhead on approach. If would be very funny if it was not so potentially dangerous. I don't want a two 40 lb suitcases dropped on my head. I would have no problem to telling them to sit down. This applies to anyone, if you're flying commercial airline and see someone or something that looks wrong, weird or does not sound right, say something or do something, if its only pushing the overhead call button. The crew, at least a good one, is trained to listen to the passengers. They appreciate the help and will deal with it as they see fit. If you are not happy write the airline or FAA. There is nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:
I don't see at all where 941WR generalized anything. He asked a question. Are FAA employees becoming like cops - a great many of whom abuse the laws they are supposed to enforce. I doubt there's an enforcement agency anywhere in this world that doesn't have members abusing the regs/laws they are supposed to be following.

By far, the more even handed agencies I have had dealings with are the Texas State law enforcement agencies - Dept of Public Safety, Game Wardens, Parks & Wildlife. I've yet to see or hear of one abusing laws, having a "bad attitude" or overstepping their authority.

In my observation, federal agencies have their bad apples. Take the BATF, FBI, DEA, IRS... You find yourself in some of their "crosshairs", literally - well, good luck! Why would FAA be any different.

One last thing. GMC, respectfully, I wouldn't even think about calling down that FAA employee! Odds are very fair you'll end up the subject of some action where you were obstructing a federal aviation employee, flight crew, etc. I personally wouldn't say anything!

Last edited:
A Bill you might want to change your log on ID

One-Whiskey-Romeo might not get friendly service around North Carolina.

Bob Axsom

I do have friends who are cops, Fed and local...

I race with some of them and on occasion we do things that could land us in HOT water while driving in the mountains. (Not racing, that we save for the track.)

It is simple, I get pulled over, I get a ticket. They get pulled over, they laugh it off and are let go. I've seen it happen.

No slight intended toward law enforcement as that is just one of the benefits of doing a very tough job.

I also have some close relatives and friends who work for the FAA. One of my wife's uncles is retired FAA who spent the last few years with them performing ramp checks in TX. Boy does he have some interesting stories. I add this to say I'm not FAA (or cop) bashing, just trying to figure out the attitude of the post 9/11 FAA. Have they picked up the "I am the LAW" attitude? I don't know, let's hope not.

What gets me about the FAA is that every time I pick up a flying magazine I read about some guy who gets busted in a big way for a gray part of the regs. The result, IMHO, is way out of line with the infraction in most of these "sensationalized" stories. (Let us not forget what the FAA did to Bob Hoover.)

George, It was easy to tell the guy was FAA because he had his FAA ID hanging around his neck.

Hard Knox said:
Come on Glenn, that was a cheap shot. Bill's a great guy.

Hey, I know he is, I can tell by his posts here, I was joking, that's why the stupid smiley faces...