caryr

Well Known Member
Patron
A friend of mine has bought a -7 project. Its about the quick build stage.

The owner had already registered the tail number. Not just reserved the number but actually registered it.

How does that go away or can you transfer ownership or does he need to?

Don't want it to affect the repairman certificate.

I also just got a notice in the mail this morning that I have to "renew' my registration on my plane.

That must be something new. I haven't ever gotten one before. Other than occasionally a letter asking if this info is correct and requiring no input on my part.

And they want 5 bucks to fill out an online form.

Once it has been registered, the FAA considers it an "airplane" and owner transfer must be considered as such. You will need to submit a bill of sale from the past owner to get the registration transferred.

The renewal thing is new. All aircraft must have the registration renewed. If you transfer registration at this time, it should delay your "renewal" for 3 years.

renewal

There was a booth at Oshkosh this year, I think manned by a lawyer who ran your N number through data base and told you when your aircraft was going to be up for renewal.

Just did mine via internet and FAA quite painless to do, but just another fee we are going to have to pay again and again and again.

Allan Stern RV 6A
RV 8A

Once it has been registered, the FAA considers it an "airplane" and owner transfer must be considered as such. You will need to submit a bill of sale from the past owner to get the registration transferred.

Mel is correct, but there's more to the story in this case. It's true that once the aircraft is registered its ownership is transferred in the same manner whether it's completed and flying or still a project. The seller completes an FAA Aircraft Bill of Sale (FAA Form 8050-2) and the buyer submits that bill of sale along with an application for aircraft registration (FAA Form 8050-1) and the 5 dollar registration fee.

However, on an unfinished homebuilt there is another detail to consider. The person selling the already-registered kit had to put a builder name on the registration. The builder name is typically that persons own name. The seller may not want to have their name shown as the builder of the completed aircraft if they sell an unfinished project, and the buyer may want their name shown as the builder. Now is the time to change the builder name! The FAA allows the builder name to be changed in this case, but only before the airworthiness certificate is issued. If you buy this kit and transfer the registration, you should then contact the FAA Aircraft Registration Branch and work with them to have the builder name changed (if you want). You can call FAA Aircraft Registration toll-free at 866-762-9434.

Agree strongly with Joe's advice!

It will be much better in the long run if you follow Joe's advice!

Just got back to the computer.

In response the changing the builder name, Joe is correct. It can be done, but it must be done before the A/W certificate is issued.

VAF database

The vast quantity of knowledge on this site is just amazing to me.

Sure am glad I have access:D

P.S., Mel, thanks for the info yesterday. FAA was happy with the paperwork.