jgills240

I'm New Here
While it is generally not wise to make public videos documenting an infraction to Title 14 of the CFRs, the FAA has apparently wisened up to YouTube evidence, as can be found in this Noticed published in April.

A friend of mine said it most eloquently:
"Although I am in no way implying any of you would do anything contrary to regulations whether or not captured on video, there has been a rumor that flying within 5 miles of an airport while fiddling with a GoPro in the cockpit is failing to maintain a 'sterile cockpit' in the airport environment. The video could constitute evident for a violation and you might get a letter. I'd hate to think we've come to this."

Link to PDF version of the published notice.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Notice/N_8900.292.pdf

"Y'all be careful out there"

Ummmm....there's a law that says that one has to do this? For us GA types, that is?

Not in part 91. Unless they want to invoke the catch-all "careless and reckless".

But why worry about such a gray area? I've seen some U-tube stuff that is 100% without a doubt a violation of part 91 (e.g., aerobatics with a passenger, no 'chutes). I think some things I've seen were not in the US so maybe different rules apply.

For that matter, I see potential FAR violations all the time in print, right here on VAF:

"I'd like a ride from KABC to KXYZ, I WILL PAY ALL EXPENSES". That's good manners, but unfortunately not allowed.

For that matter, I see potential FAR violations all the time in print, right here on VAF:

"I'd like a ride from KABC to KXYZ, I WILL PAY ALL EXPENSES". That's good manners, but unfortunately not allowed.

I didn't think making such a request was illegal. It WOULD be illegal to:
- accept such compensation above the prorata share without possessing a commercial pilot license.
- do so in an E-AB, which aren't for use for hire.

Holy thread creep, Batman!

I didn't think making such a request was illegal. It WOULD be illegal to:
- accept such compensation above the prorata share without possessing a commercial pilot license.
- do so in an E-AB, which aren't for use for hire.

Holy thread creep, Batman!

yes, I should have been more clear, the pilot cannot accept the offer. That's why I said potential violation.
Common misconception - a commercial pilot cannot accept the offer either, if he's operating under part 91.