ronschreck

Well Known Member
Am I the only one who is perplexed by the recent announcement that the FAA has launched a "new" flight planning tool? I was thinking that they may have finally stepped into the 21st century and provided a NOTAM system that pilots may actually use. But, NO it's the same unreadable hieroglyphics in a new format and to understand how it works you only have to wade through a 28 page User's Guide.

I predict that more band width will be used to poo-poo the "new" system than the antiquated NOTAM abbreviations save.

Come on FAA, give us something actual pilots will actually use!

I dunno, I just went to the site and it seemed pretty easy to use. I typed in a route and pulled up all of the applicable NOTAMS along the route. Looked at it graphically on the map. Pretty neat as opposed to wading through pages of text that I normally do. Pretty intuitive IMO --Didn't look at the users guide yet. What am I missing? :confused:

I dunno - I liked it and thought it made getting NOTAMs pretty easy. I think it's easier to get NOTAMs through this new tool than it is ForeFlight (and ForeFlight is pretty awesome to start with).

Seems okay..

Maybe I'm not searching right, I punched in 2 airports where I knew I'd fly over another and didn't see anything for the enroute airport.

on the route for kmwc to kcwa I'd like to know that the STE VOR is offline (perm)

Seems okay..

Maybe I'm not searching right, I punched in 2 airports where I knew I'd fly over another and didn't see anything for the enroute airport.

on the route for kmwc to kcwa I'd like to know that the STE VOR is offline (perm)

Make sure in the drop down menu on the left you select fight path vs. location. When the NOTAM window comes up, scroll down. For some reason the default is to display the origin and destination NOTAMs first. I tried the route you posted and the STE NOTAM was there.

It seems like the "Standard Briefing" I get at 1800wxbrief.com gives the NOTAM info organized fairly decently ...

Am I the only one who is perplexed by the recent announcement that the FAA has launched a "new" flight planning tool? I was thinking that they may have finally stepped into the 21st century and provided a NOTAM system that pilots may actually use.

I've been using www.pilotweb.nas.faa.gov with good results. This new page does allow sorting on type of notam so I can skip over the obstructions and SID's on vfr flights. I did notice that it doesn't list TFR's, or at least it didn't on my search.

It does seem (on both pages) that notams now use less of the cryptic abbreviations and more plain language (such as "end of runway" instead of EOR).

-John