AX-O

Well Known Member
I came across this article at work about no texting while flying. http://www.aviationtoday.com/the-checklist/78245.html Although I am not posting this as a discussion for if it is right or not. I did find it interesting that they also mention ?wireless communications device or laptop computer?. It would be a bad deal for a lot of people if your favorite tablet would fall in that group.

The article mentions ?The agency will now collect comments about the proposal over the next two months?. Does anyone know how to submit comments? or how to find the proposal?

"No wireless communication device"

So, I can't use my SL 30, or 40??

And the GPS communicates to me wirelessly................

We are screwed:eek:

Here you go...the OP article said it was submitted to the Federal Register, so searching "FAA" and today's date there easily turned this up. Should show up at the FAA too, but I imagine there is delay of a day or two?

https://www.federalregister.gov/art...-use-of-electronic-devices-on-the-flight-deck

Summary: The proposed rule would prohibit flightcrew members in operations under part 121 from using a personal wireless communications device or laptop computer for personal use while at their duty station on the flight deck while the aircraft is being operated. This rule, which conforms FAA regulations with recent legislation, is intended to ensure that certain non-essential activities do not contribute to the challenge of task management on the flight deck or a loss of situational awareness due to attention to non-essential tasks.

Pet Peeve: Why articles don't link to source documents. (Well, I know why. :))

Last edited:
This is fine. All my "wireless communications devices" including my ipad are not for PERSONAL use (never mind the part 121 thing). They're all necessary for, and essential to, safety of flight. :)

better alert VLAD!

that would mean no surfing for food or shelter while flying,.... could crimp some of those longer legs...(hope to see those again in the future,..)

kidding aside.... intent makes sense to me,....
as I recall someone recently mentioned 4 near misses in one day,... how much more of a reminder do we need to keep the heads on swivels

Last edited:
This is likely a consequence of a not too long ago airline incident where the airliner overflew its destination. The two pilots claimed they were busy on their PC's trying to figure out the pilot scheduling program!!